z

Young Writers Society

Endings

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 am
chocoholic says...

So I'm really good at beginnings, I quite enjoy middles but endings make me want to shoot myself in the head. I just can't do it, which is the reason things take so long for me to finish. I just can't think of good and non-corny endings.

Any tips, because I really hate staring at the screen for ages and trying to end. And this is for fiction and non-fiction (actually, fiction is easier, which is bad for the article I'm trying to finish off for English).

Thanks!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:45 pm
Avens Dolor says...

Well, for non-fiction a good summation never hurt anyone.

As far as fiction is concerned... it really depends on the piece. Think about how you would feel as a reader--you don't want to be cheated, but you don't want overkill. Let the story find the flow that belongs to it, and the ending should appear pretty clearly. There isn't really a formula for finding endings; they just sort of arrive.

Gah, I'm sorry that that's so general.
If you have a specific question or example, I might be able to better help you.

Avens

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:36 pm
Conrad Rice says...

Endings can be tricky things. Sometimes I'll find that a story just comes to an end, like that, and it's not too hard at . But other times you write forever and ever, telling all that you can tell, and yet it doesn't look like it's going to end anytime soon. About the only tip that I can give for times like these is keep writing. That's what I do when I come up with a story that doesn't want to end. If the story just doesn't want to end yet then there's no need to force it to. If you do have an ending, but somehow it just doesn't seem quite right, leave it as it is for about a week or so. Do other things. Then, when you've almost completely forgotten about the story, come back. See if going after it with a fresh eye and mind helps at all.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:44 pm
Gahks says...

Look over your entire storyline again, see if you can find something that can set off your ending. Your conclusion is what your story has been working up to: knock us dead! Kill off someone, if you have to. Referencing an image or idea from the beginning can work particularly well; this gives the novel a sense of unity.

If you're looking for non-fiction endings, end on a really strong image, or a quotation (appeal to authority) or repeat something from the start of your essay or speech like with fiction.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing