z

Young Writers Society

Too short?

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:38 pm
lxtmidnight says...

I've often heard of writers who have to many words in their work, and have to tone it down in order to submit.

I have the complete opposite problem, however. My entire book (YA fantasy, btw) is exactly 30,315 words (And i say it like that to make it seme longer XD)....Is this too short to be considered for publication? If it is, how can I make it longer, when I can't find anything else wrong in it?

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:30 pm
Kang227 says...

NOTHING is ever too short for publication. If you think that the book is perfect, it's perfect. Don't worry about impressing publishers with word count; they respect quality, not quantity.

My own fantasy novel is 40,000 words so far, with 10 chapters so go. It'll probably end up being 50,000-ish words pre-revision (during which I'll add a lot to it; have you gone through addition or just editing?).
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:00 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Don't worry about it. If the story is done, it's done. Adding to please the publishers would be like changing your characters personality to fit the plot. =P It's no fun. Try submitting what you've got, and see what the think of it before you start worrying it's too short. I've seen plenty of good, short novels.

remember: Quality over quantity. :wink:

^_^ Keek!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:04 pm
Perra says...

As they said, length doesn't really matter when it comes to publication. It only matters when classifying your work. For instance, 30,315 words means you've got a novella - not a novel. If it was less than 17,000 words or more than 40,000, it'd be classified as something else. But I don't think that effects your chances of publication. :)
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm
Emerson says...

As much as everyone else says, "Length doesn't matter," I can't help but interrupt them.

It does matter. Sure, you're story doesn't have to be within a certain range to publish, but certain mediums are easier to get into than others. 30,000 words is fairly short for a novel. Kang says, "Don't impress published." I don't think it is about impressing them with how much you've written, but with how much content you have, how much meat there is to your story.

But I don't think it's something you should worry about. If your 15 and considering publication, here is what I think you should do: hide the story in a drawer for a year, and come back to it. Time makes things fresh, and you will more than likely find things you want to improve, take out all together, or add to your story. Even if you've been working for this story for five years now, work on it five more. I'm not saying "15 year olds cannot get publish" but you will be hard pressed to get noticed in the publishing world at that age. While you're hiding your work, try to do small things. Get short stories or poems published in literary magazines, look into contest, get yourself known. That way when you do send into the publishers, not only do you have a bit of a standing in the literary world, but you have five more years of experience behind you. I've been writing for six years now, and even though I'm so much better now than I was when I was 13, every year I notice I'm better. There is always room for improvement, and I don't think you should say you're done with your story yet. :) Let it sit on the back burner.

I hope this helped!
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
— George Santayana