z

Young Writers Society

Titles and Writing With Titles

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 pm
Gahks says...

How do you find a title? Share your thoughts here and put up some random titles that people could take inspiration from.

I was listening to a radio show the other day where someone commented that 6ft. is no longer considered tall. So I came up with 7ft. is the New Tall as a possible name for a quirky comedy-drama novel. Although I don't do comedy-drama...
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:56 pm
Lilith says...

Mostly, my inspiration for titles comes from songs or from the context of the story. When I'm finding a title, I want it to sound like something I would pick up off the bookstore shelf out of curiosity.

Wish I had some ideas to share, but titles should come from you. You'll know when you find the right words to immortalize your work of literature.
Duffy -- "Watch out for Jesse, he wants what he can't have."
Emily -- "Oh boy, he can have me."
Duffy -- "Figures..."

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:23 pm
Ross says...

Mostly, I give it a working title first that summarizes the concept of my story. If I was writing about a deaf woman who is being stalked, I would write: "Hunted Deaf" But when I type the last word, I look at the twists and turns and basically I try to find a good phrase that matches the genre. Or I could combine a couple of words that describe the story and that could be the title.

Hope this helps!

DW
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:50 am
Aneke says...

What I've done for short stories is look for lines in the work itself that describe it as a whole. Usually I can find a tiny something-or-rather that sums up the story, right there under my nose.

Coming up with a title is sort of a pet hate and I've always had trouble. It's way hard to come up with something simple and catchy.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:13 am
chocoholic says...

Sometimes after writing for a bit a good title will just come to me, but if it doesn't I'll usually play a round with a few ideas, and if I still can't find something good I'll ask someone who's read it for an idea.

My working title is, more often than not, the name of my main character. That's usually what I save a story under if it hasn't got a title.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:13 pm
pegasi_quill says...

I usually wait until I'm finished with the piece before I give it a title. Once I'm done, I know exactly what's happened in the story, I know te main themes, and the message I'm conveying is clear. That's when the title usually comes in - though there are times when I'm lost ofr words anyway ;)
~Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You can never tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things~

Away until August 31st (possibly longer)

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:20 pm
ButterFlyInk says...

Its a weird thing, but I always have to have a title for my story. I think the easiest title I've ever come up with is Trouble...simple but effective :D
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:50 am
Icaruss says...

When I first started writing my latest story called "Tangled Up In Blue", I wanted to do a straight up adaptation of the Real Live version of that Bob Dylan song. It eventually evolved into my own story, which had little to do with the song. I kept the title, though.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

Random avatar

Reviews: 21
Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:50 pm
Antares says...

Finding a title is pretty easy; I usually just use a good line from the story. After I've found a good title I'll Google it to make sure it is not already used for some well-known novel. Once that's done I'll search on fanfiction.net and fictionpress.com to make sure that that exact title or something similar is not over-used. I really don't like clichés and I try to steer clear of them with my stories - including the title.

One thing I will say: do not spend too much time on a title if you haven't finished. If you make your main focus your title and obsess over it then you are never going to finish your writing. Wait until your piece is all done and dusted before you worry about what you're going to call it.
'Moses Kiptanui - the 19 year old Kenyan, who turned 20 a few weeks ago.'
'If that had gone in, it would have been a goal.' David Coleman
'Without being too harsh on David Beckham, he cost us the match.' Ian Wright

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:48 pm
scribblingquill says...

I agree with everything you guys said.

A lot of the time I'll have ideas for names of stories or poems or lyrics that I haven't got a piece to go with. Here are all the unused titles on a post it on my desktop: (feel free to use)

Further From Forever
Catch you
Are you dead yet?
Zombie Boy
Never to Crash
Now For The Killing
Twinkle Teeth
Is this bass REALLY strong enough?

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:18 pm
xxfourthelement says...

One thing I really get story titles from: lyrics. Either the title of a song or from the lyrics themselves.

Mostly, though, I get it from the actual idea of the story. I get titles before I get stories, sometimes. Most of the time. I think of a concept - instant title - and flesh it out as a story later.
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

Ogres are like onions.
— Shrek