z

Young Writers Society

Character invisioning

Reviews: 4
Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:41 pm
Pingu says...

When writing this new novel, I decided to try and invision the characters by the actors/actresses I would cast to play them in a movie. It gives you a great idea of your characters image and such, rather than drawing them. I'll give you an example here;

I got a young picture of Edward Furlong (Terminator 2, The Crow: Wicked Prayer..). I use this as a way of SEEING my protagonist Jiro. I use this picture because you can see the attitude and apathy in his face, which represents the character Jiro best.

Now for one of the Antagonists, Onryo. Self-loathing, Vengeful and murderous....Trent Reznor from the band Nine Inch Nails.

I hope this comes to some help.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:16 pm
View Likes
ButterFlyInk says...

Thats so cool! I never thought of that. I think finding pictures would help, considering I have trouble visioning them to their full potential.

Thanks for the great idea!
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:55 am
Aneke says...

While I have found it both helpful and lots of fun to draw my characters, I've also looked for their dopplegangers mostly for the what-the-heck.

I've put together hypothetical "soundtracks" to my novel and done the "album artwork" for them. Here's the cover for the latest incarnation. These are my characters Ash (left) and Phoenix (right); both started out as Ville Valo from the band HIM before I went wild with Photoshop.

It's kind of nice to be able to make this sort of stuff when I've got writer's block. Then it's still kind of working on the novel, even when words don't flow.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:18 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Hey, there's actually a thread for this in either the Lounge or the Randomness section...I should know, I started it. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead