z

Young Writers Society

How to give an agent a nudge?

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:35 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I submitted part of my novel to a literary agent a while ago, and haven't heard anything in about five weeks.

I know they're probably just really busy (and secretly hoping it means it's getting properly looked at), and they don't seem the type to not reply at all, but I really do need to hear something so I can start sending it out to others (I would do it already, but this is my absolute favourite so I want to give it a try first before I go onto the rest of my list).

My dad reckons I should email them just to make sure they got what I sent them and ask how long it's taking for them to give a reply at the moment, but I don't know how!!!

Emails are such tricky things, especially if they're kind of formal. :roll:

I need a polite, gentle way of emailing them without sounding pushy. I don't want to come across as all demanding like I'm going 'why haven't you responded to me yet? :x ' :D I honestly just want to hear something, even if it's just a standard rejection letter.

So any ideas of how to word this email?
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:14 pm
Novelism says...

Don't worry, honestly. I can now you now that both publishers and agents akin, take a long time to reply. Leave it one more week, just one.

Then, email them. Of course, these people get hundreds, maybe thousands a year and then they have to read it, decide, make a letter, and send it.

Then you have the trouble of emails. They will get even more of those, and by the time they reply you may have already received it. Also send it to others. If they offer you it, you can always reject and get better deals on others, as they will have more reason to provide a lower price, more competition, see?

So give it a little time, and be patient! Good luck. :-)
If a pianist is part of pianism, racist people believe in racism, and sexist people believe in sexism, what is a novelist?

"Novelism"

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:33 pm
chocoholic says...

Don't ask them if they've read it or if they're taking you, just ask for conformation that they have recieved it. Of all the agents/publishers I've looked at, that's what they say to do. (Well, actually, they say to include a postcard wiht your package with youraddress on it that they send out once they get it so you know they've got it, but seeing as you haven't done it, I'm sure a brief and polite email will be fine)
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:04 am
Avens Dolor says...

Does their website state how long they take, on average, to respond to queries?

Be careful to wait until the end of that period before you send anything at all.

After that, send a brief, concise note asking whether your query was received. Include the date it was sent, and all of your contact information.

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian