z

Young Writers Society

Writing Deadlines

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat May 10, 2008 12:46 pm
chocoholic says...

Does anybody set them? I know NaNoWriMo is kind of a deadline, but does anybody say, 'okay, this piece must be finished by the -- of --'?

I never did, but I'm working on two novles right now, and I kind of stopped writing them, so I just set myself deadlines for the first and second drafts. Don't know if I'll be able to keep them, but hopefully they'll make me write.

So does anybody else do this?
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sat May 10, 2008 1:48 pm
Gahks says...

I hate deadlines! However, I find writing for ten minutes - no more, no less - is an excellent way to keep up your writing life. Mostly I continue writing until a) I finish the piece; or b) Mum shouts at me to turn off the PC! :)
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 10, 2008 2:40 pm
Emerson says...

I have vague deadlines for myself, or nothing would happen. Of course, I don't meet them, most of the time, but if I do then I'm happy. For example, I wanted to finish a novel before school got out, so I could edit my other one. Well, that novel isn't being touched currently, and has now been set aside for NaNoWriMo. Why? Because I now have a novella which needs to be finished before school gets out. Except, now I have another novella... You can see my problem?

It's not that I keep getting new ideas and I don't finish the old ones; I've finally gotten to the point where I can flip-flop around. I just don't want to work on the others right now. My goals are a bit shorter. Perhaps "edit section one this weekend" or something. The only large goal I have right now is to rewrite my first novel over summer break. Whether I'll actually start and finish, I'm not sure. :lol:
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun May 11, 2008 5:02 pm
JFW1415 says...

I never do, but I'm finding they actually work.

For example, I started a fanfiction a long time ago, well before I started YWS. It's not nearly finished, and I haven't worked on it in ages.

Then I had to write a short story for school. It's complete.

I entered a few contests here, and I finished those stories quickly, too.

I'm not sure how well I could keep a deadline, but I'm definately going to start trying. At least for the first draft. For the editing, I like taking as much time as I like. (Which is why I'm still working on editing the two stories I mentioned above. I passed them in, but now I have all the time in the world the make them even better.)

I'm looking forward to nano. I think the time limit will really help me.

But then again, all of this is in the opinion of an extremely lazy person. :roll:

~JFW1415

Random avatar

Reviews: 14
Sun May 11, 2008 7:55 pm
Muteman says...

A set deadlines I'll never reach usually. Personally, I find that when I'm stretched for time, stressed out, and just hating what I'm writing, is when I write the best. A published author/poet I know says all the time, most of the time, the best art comes from the ones being pushed socially, economically, or in any way. So I try to induce the idea. Sounds crazy, I know.

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Sun May 11, 2008 8:10 pm
Eimear says...

I tend to believe that writing deadlines are a very good concept for the disciplined writer's progress and eventual success.

I'm just afraid to say that just isn't me

. I don't plan until I have to- the design of the story, character biographies and general theme are usually mapped out in my head until I finally get round to jotting them down and ordering them. My creativity does not like to be chained down. So my novel has really taken it's time evolving into something which now, at least in my eyes, looks publishable.

Saying that, I find writing deadlines are good when it comes to things like essays. It start and finish them the night before they're due.

Eimear
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue May 13, 2008 2:55 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I tend to try and miserably fail at making them.

;)

Hopefully, with the summer starting very, very soon, I'll be able to set actually deadlines. I'm more of a chapter deadline setter. For example, this chapter or part needs to be finished by such and such a date.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sun May 18, 2008 12:16 am
Conrad Rice says...

I dislike deadlines. I like time to develop and cultivate my stories without the threat of a deadline looming over my head. I tend to make better stories that way. I'm not fretting about mistakes and things of that nature when I work on my own time.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42