z

Young Writers Society

Flashbacks—any tips while writing them?

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:39 am
Sohini says...

How do you write flashbacks?

As in a character suddenly remembers something in the present and gets lost in his memories...what is the best tense to be used?

What point of view do you generally use?

I know it's all up to the story and the character, but could you tell me any generialized tips; or any handy thoughts ?

:shock:
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:57 am
deleted6 says...

Just let it become part of the story. Put it all in italics, don't force it, make the movement, melt into it. :) Hope this helps.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:25 am
Twit says...

I think you should only use a flashback if the scene is powerful enough. That's what I've read, and I think it makes sense.

And as Vernon said, itallics and present tense. There's a good flashback scene in Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher - check that one out.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:47 pm
Teh_Huntress says...

Like Wooster, and Vernon said above, place it in italics, thats what I tend to do when I write stories with flashbacks in them. :) Thats about all I can say, good luck though! :D

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:56 pm
JFW1415 says...

I personally hate putting flashbacks in italics, unless it's REALLY short.

Flashbacks need to be clear that you're switching time, and they have to be needed.

I just wrote a story with a lot of these. Maybe check it out for an example? People thought the flashbacks were done pretty well, and I didn't use italics.

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic28900.html

(Sorry about the self-plugging, but I thought it might help to read other's attempts. :wink: )

~JFW1415

Reviews: 1
Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:35 pm
hellodaydream says...

I think you should only write it in italics if it's really short, if it's a fair enough size start a new chapter. To me, a new chapter just seems cleaner.

That's just my opinion xD

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:51 pm
Gahks says...

Don't use italics. Start a new chapter or double space if they are unrelated to the action that's just happened. If it is, e.g.: "Glimpsing the mended vase made him remember of the time when...", just make it as natural/stream of consciousness like as possible. Free indirect speech is also useful here.

Hope this helps.

Gahks
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:08 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I'd suggest not using italics, unless it's so short it's only a few sentences long. I agree, it's irritating to read in italics if it's longer than a certain length.

Otherwise I'd say either try and weave it into the current action, or put a break before and after the flashback. I've always found that worked. If it's long enough for a new chapter, that works too. :wink:
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Thu May 01, 2008 4:32 am
Sohini says...

Hmm...italics or not italics that is the question.

Er...no italics it is.
Like gakhs said, double space seems OK for me and I'll try to melt in the present into the past...

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Really helpful.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sun May 18, 2008 3:13 pm
Summerless says...

Like Vernon said, put the flashback in italics. Or in a different font.

In my flashbacks I like to use present tense if the actual story is written in present tense. Or past tense if the story is written in past tense.

Example:

Sarah remembered every detail from kissing Dewey. Dewey and his adorable green eyes and the way he played with her hair so lovingly...

"How do you do that, Sarah?" Dewey said.

"Do what?"

"How do you tie your hair up so quickly? I don't get how girls can do it so fast but make it look gorgeous," he murmured while he watched Sarah whip up a quick high ponytail in a bun. "You look really cute like that."

"Do I?" Sarah blushed.

"Entirely." And just like that he kissed her. And she couldn't help but kiss him.

"Dewey seemed perfect. His love seemed authentic. Then why did Life turn her back on me and make him a player?" Sarah whispered to herself.

Blah. That was a terrible example but it kind of shows the way I add in flashbacks. If the Sarah was living in the present tense, then I'd change "remembered" to "remembers" and "said" to "says" and "murmured" to "murmurs," etc.

Hope this helps! :]
Summerless

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon May 19, 2008 7:19 pm
zoeybird13024 says...

I normally have it in first person--I find that works best. Since the character is going through his/her memories, anyway. I have several side novels (not kidding--they're really long...) about my main story and all of them are written in first person with a lot of strong emotion. I find writing in first person in general gives the reader a better aspect of the main character's personality. Some stories are best written in third person, though, so keep that possibility in mind. Also, I normally use present tense. In one, I use past tense (or at least I try to keep it that way...) because of how I've planned on it ending. Hope I helped!!!

-x-Ashes

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue May 20, 2008 12:36 pm
Icaruss says...

The hell with italics. Just jump around from the present, to the past, to the future, and don't even put: "John remembered", just make it a new paragraph and the reader will figure it out. Don't even call them flashbacks. Sometimes I even tangle up the past and present in the same section, but that's just me, because of my whacky reading choices. You don't have to be so stiff, is my point. You can write in any order you want, because, believe it or not, most readers are smart enough to get it.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

You know what the big problem is in telling fantasy and reality apart? They're both ridiculous.
— The 12th Doctor