z

Young Writers Society

How long does your editing take?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:12 am
Aedomir says...

I wa just wondering, because my target is around 130000 words and I am guessing it will take around 4 months to get cleaned up, after finished, how long does yours take roughly?
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:26 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

Mine has so far taken six weeks to do several edits, I'm now half way through a final edit on the 140,000 words. Should be (hopefully) finished in the next few weeks.

I have taken months and months to edit something though. It depends how many edits you do and how thoroughly you do it and how much time each time you're spending on it. I'd have probably got my editing done quicker but I keep lapsing and spending all day doing nothing... :roll: Bad me. :D
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:09 pm
Emerson says...

It depends on how you edit. If you're doing grammar and line edits then that would take much time because all you're doing is reading. Plot, character, etc editing would take a long, long time because you would have to move things around, rewrite whole passages, and what not. I haven't gotten to editing any of my novels yet--at least not the finished one.

Also I'm moving this to writing tips. ^_^
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:53 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I've been editing for quite some time, but that is because I am doing major rewriting. I discovered an entirely different avenue for my story to go and I am in the midst of completely revamping all of the old work.

However, I agree that to simply do clean up and so on and so forth won't take too long. I would be cautious in setting a definite time-limit for yourself, however. Who knows, you might decide that you don't like the way some of it is written, rewrite it and then find out that you could totally make this scene longer... etc. etc. etc. and you have a ten book series laid out before you. *cough* Or, you can just read through with a red pencil with a print out (I prefer doing that sort of thing with a hard copy - it's easier to read than a computer screen when you are trying to do grammar editing and the like) and just mark all of the spots where you missed a period, misspelled something or whatnot.

Good luck with your editing!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:17 am
Kenpachi Masamune says...

Editing is usually 2-3x the length of the writing for me. So if I wrote a 50k word story in a month, it would take me three months to edit it. Even though I am usually pretty good on the first run through, I like to wait a couple of months before I edit, and then when I do edit, I take it very slowly and comb through it several times.
Blank Chapters 1-5 at:
http://kenpachimasamune.page.tl/
Check it out!

You found Ghostie! ๏̯͡๏)

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:33 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

To my opinion, your editing should take about 3/4 of the time it took for you to write your novel? That's a pretty interesting estimate.

You should put as much effort into editing as you did writing, really.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:32 am
JFW1415 says...

My editing takes forever. I'll push out my writing, then rewrite whole passages, which can take anywhere from twice the time it took to write to five times the time, sometimes even longer. O.o Then I go through for spelling/grammar, but I usually catch that while writing, even though I probably shouldn't...I think I need to start turning off my automatic spellcheck.

Just take however long it needs.

~JFW1415

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:58 pm
Kang227 says...

I write well enough (when my mind's in it) that I don't make many major flaws. A lot of stuff will be picked up on as I write it.

As far as story goes, I usually don't progress into the story unless I'm completely satisfied with the chapter/group of chapters/section of a particular chapter that I'm working on.

Although I might skip a chapter after a certain point, because that particular scene may contain powerful emotions or plot advancement that I want to perfect. (See my Tyrant Ch 2, Tanari'k's section: you'll see what I mean (and puke)).

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:13 pm
Squall says...

It takes me almost two weeks to edit my creative writing assessment which only has 680 words to it.

Yes, I'm such a perfectionist lol.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:00 pm
Krupp says...

As far as grammar and errors like that is concerned, it only took me a week to fully go through all 369 pages of my book and fix them. As for a full any changes in the story? Well, I don't know. I don't think much would need to be changed...and I'm not trying to be arrogant when I say that. I honestly think I did that good of a job on it.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:55 pm
JFW1415 says...

I'm excited. I just wrote something for school (roughly 4,000 words,) and it doesn't look like it will take too long to edit. I did the tense corrections (it's present, and I kept switching to past,) grammar, and spelling in about fifteen minutes, but as I reread it, my first draft is pretty good.

I love that! I'll end up with the same product, but before this would be my tenth draft, not my first! I just chopped about a month off my editing time! :P

~JFW1415

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology