z

Young Writers Society

Forget Grammar Advice (Not this one!)

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:15 pm
Aedomir says...

When you write, people will be saying to you 'Avoid alliteration' or 'prepositions should never be at the end of a sentence'.

To a limit, I would say:

Ignore them.

I think that these little changes, let your style be your style. For example, Tolkien goes past all of these issues and developed his own unique voice. Be adventurous! There is no right or wrong remember! Grammar is very important, but ignore the advanced rules that I believe pin you down.

Just a casual tip, don't take this too seriously! Just remember that what you are writing should be unique, and not what others claim to be 'uniform'.

~Mark
Last edited by Aedomir on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:38 pm
Leja says...

Well, I wouldn't say you should blindly ignore grammatical rules just because you feel like it. But if you do have a good reason, then by all means! :D

i.e., consciously know what you're breaking and why before you actually go ahead and do so.
Last edited by Leja on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

370 Reviews

Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:44 pm
Aedomir says...

Oh yes! That isn't what I meant, keep the basic grammar rules, but I mean, who are you if you just mimick grammar authors?!

:-D

2. Human.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:57 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I always think you can't break grammar rules until you have learnt them properly and learnt to stick to them.

Of course you can write dialogue however you like, but unless you have a good deal of proficiency in writing good narrative then you should probably still stick to most grammar rules. You have to learn to write well within the rules before you can learn to write it well without them. :wink:

Of course since the rules between different styles of English (i.e. British English, American English) can be so difficult, just knowing the rules is tricky enough! :D
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:57 pm
Emerson says...

I'm not sure I know what you mean by grammar authors?

In any case, you can have proper grammar and style! I do it all the time. :D The only place where I let my grammar freak out is in dialogue. Although I once used a screwed up passive sentence and refused to fix it, so. It's also good to know the rules before you ignore them entirely.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:04 pm
JabberHut says...

We should know how to use grammar properly before we can ignore them. When ignoring them, one creates a sentence that's can be difficult to read properly, so grammar in narration should definitely be handled, especially in third person.

If in first person, still watch your grammar. We don't want to confuse our readers, but we want it to be good enough to where we get the point across and it's effective. Grammar is essential to the language one writes in, even speaks in, just like spelling.

It's much easier to ignore grammar in dialogue, though I still say to use it wisely. If the character is a scholar, you may want to keep their speech in proper grammar, but if it's some gangster dude, you can bend the rules a bit to fit them.

Grammar should never be completely ignored.

My opinion, of course. ^_^
I make my own policies.

370 Reviews

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:15 pm
Aedomir says...

I agree. Don't take any of this too seriously, it's just that if you get worried that one of your sentences reads up 'fragment, considering revising' know that if it makes sense to you, it should to your author. I don't mean ignore grammar, of course not! Just be sure that you know that what you are writing does not have to be what I would call 'boring sentence structures'.

Repetition at its worst! :wink:

2. Human.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:17 pm
Snoink says...

*coughs*

You're not talking about breaking grammar rules. You're talking about set stylistic processes.

But yeah. For that, bre adventurous! ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:22 pm
JabberHut says...

But yeah. For that, bre adventurous!

Are we trying to kill me? XD
I make my own policies.

370 Reviews

Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:24 pm
Aedomir says...

Snoink wrote:*coughs*

You're not talking about breaking grammar rules. You're talking about set stylistic processes.

But yeah. For that, bre adventurous! ;)

You are picky :P hehe, but yes!

2. Human.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue May 06, 2008 3:12 am
melanie21 says...

I'm a big believer in few exceptions to grammar breakage. Mainly when the audience is believed to be well educated in grammar a pre-planned screw up really makes something stand out. Using one word sentances can be quite fun when done extremely sparingly.
"Love as thou wilt" Jacqueline Carey
Need a critique? PM me and I'd love to help!

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sun May 11, 2008 5:08 pm
JFW1415 says...

JabberHut wrote:
But yeah. For that, bre adventurous!

Are we trying to kill me? XD

Haha, poor Jabbs. *Hugs*

Anyways, I'm a strong believer in this. One word sentences, or paragraphs? So much fun.

And sentence fragments. And starting sentences with 'and.'

Destroy those English teachers who say that all paragraps must have 5-9 sentences! :twisted:

~JFW1415

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon May 12, 2008 9:17 am
Gahks says...

As my English teacher used to say, "It's like knowing how to ride a bike before you do a wheelie."

Or, a screenwriter puts it, "There are no rules, but you've got to know them before you can break them!"

:D
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Fri May 23, 2008 7:48 am
BrokenSword says...

I actually do not have good grasp on grammar terms at all. I know what a noun is and a verb, I have a hard time remembering what an adjective is, and I have no clue about all the rules. But I do know how to write with proper grammar. I just don't know a lot about it. My grammar has always been fine and I've always gotten high grades in English so it has not posed a problem for me. At least not yet. ^_^

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:22 am
JesusFreak says...

I think it depends on what you are writing, but, as long as you get your point across to the reader, then you can forget grammar.

I am probably just saying this because I have no grammar/punctuation/spelling skills. :wink:

That awkward moment when you jump out a window because your friend jumped out a window, then you remember that your other friend can fly.
— Rick Riordan, The Ship of the Dead