z

Young Writers Society

The Correct way to Write a Script

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:32 am
RoryLegend says...

All I have wanted to do with my life for quite some time is be a filmmaker...I want to write, direct, edit, and produce..the whole chabang. I get the producing, editing, and directing, but I have no Idea how to write a script...HELP!
All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.

-Benjamin Mee

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:32 pm
MidnightVampire says...

Hmm... i may not be the best person for giving advice. But what specifically do you need help with. Formating? The idea? How to get your script published? If you give me a little detail, I may be able to help. Maybe. Good luck with your dream of being a director, script maker, and such!
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:43 pm
Emerson says...

A Basic Guide written by myself. I also have a link to a book that will help you near the end.

That should help you? Though as I say in the thread, that's for the stage.

Also, I'm moving this to writing tips.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:51 pm
Incandescence says...

There are significant difference in stage productions and film productions. I don't think there are currently any guides up on the YWS for the latter, but I've been working on a TV script which may help you to sort of look at for the basics (it's in the Scripts section).

For film, the best thing you can do is simply read scripts from your favorite TV shows and movies, and see how they formatted and described scenes. Unlike writing an essay, there are no "set" guidelines for writing a film script, but there are some things you should always do, no matter how you handle the other formatting. Since I truly think the best way is to read some other scripts, I'd suggest you simply look around the Web for whatever you can find and go from there.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:07 pm
Aedomir says...

Will this help?
Attachments
sf_07_screenplaytemplateA4.doc
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:44 am
J. Wilder says...

This document does a great job of explaining format.

This site has a ton of columns by Terry Rosio (who cowrote a lot of famous movies like Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek, and Aladdin. It gives good advice about screenwriting.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:04 am
RoryLegend says...

THANKS GUYS! sorry I took forever to answer but it got moved and i didn't know to where so I couldn't find it lol. Thanks again that really helped.

~Rory
All you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, and I promise you something great will come of it.

-Benjamin Mee

Live your life how you want, but don't confuse drama with happiness.
— Ron, Parks & Rec