z

Young Writers Society

Fighting scenes

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:13 am
MidnightVampire says...

Ok, some of my stories have fight scenes. And, as some of you noticed, they were totally haywire. I need help with them. Many of my novels that i am writing have (or will have) a fight scene. I don't want it to suck! Please help me before I fall over the line that separates insanity and sanity.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:08 pm
snap says...

Well, the key to writing a fight scene is to have it concise, and not have the protagonist and antagonist going all over the place, both literally and figuratively. When you start a fight scene, you need to decide who's going to "win," that is, how it's going to end. That way, you have a goal you're working toward. So, from then on, everything that happens in the fight should be working toward that goal. So, if the protagonist wins, how much damage can he sustain and still manage to vanquish the antagonist? Those kinds of questions are helpful.

Also, be creative. Use surfaces (i.e. tables, tapestries, whatever) to help the protagonist (or antagonist--you choose. :-)) Have one of the combatants outsmart the other. Maybe the protagonist starts a bar fight with someone else to distract the antagonist. It's really up to you. Creativity, in my mind, is really what makes a fight scene interesting to me.

I hope I helped. :-)

--Snap
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:07 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

Oh, me too, I'm not great at fight scenes. I think conciseness (that doesn't look like a word, but I'm sure it is) is the way to go though. Fights do tend to go rather quickly, after all. Try not to have too much description of who hit who etc. It gets rather tedious and repetitive after a while.

I tried writing a riot in my last novel. That was hard, because it was meant to last a while and I couldn't even figure out how it started. Somehow though, after a lot of experimenting and rewriting, I got the start right, and then just had my main character get hit on the head so he was passed out for most of it... :smt042

Think hard what sort of fight you want it to be (full on boxing match or just a brief scuffle, or a brawl where everyone joins in even, are people throwing things, using weapons, punching, just wrestling on the ground?) and how you want it to end, and get a good idea of the stages you want it to go through.

They are difficult things to write. I always find they turn out kind of silly...it takes a bit of practise and eventually you'll get it.
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:42 pm
JFW1415 says...

Eh, I'm not good at it either, but I'll throw in my two cents. :P

Fights, especially with lot's of people, are confusing. You aren't conscious of where every arm is, you get hit unexpectantly, you get an adrenaline rush, you are confused. Show how things are crazy. Use short choppy sentences. Keep it short and sweet.

And then revise. :wink:

~JFW415

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:41 am
Ego says...

Give us an example of the fight scene you're working on at the moment--We'll have more to work with, then.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:14 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Hmm... Fight scenes...

Don't worry about outlining each and every hit that lands. Go ahead and skip over some things if they are just sucker punching each other. Talk about the hits that really hurt or the really cool ones. If you take pages and pages to talk about every little move they make, you're going to lose the reader's interests.

Also, don't try to explain any complicated moves too much. Write the move out, then have someone who has no idea how it works read it and tell you what they think it means. If it is too complicated, just explain the start and the result and that's it.

(ex. Karen grabbed Lil's wrist and with an expert twist of her body, threw the other girl over her head. Two steps later, and Karen's foot was securely on Lil's throat.")

Maybe not the best example, but you get the idea. Don't tell us too much about balance points or whatever unless you can do so clearly and make it interesting. Try it and have other people read it before you decide though... You might have a natural talent for it.

I agree with Hunter - Give us something you are working on so we can see exactly what you are dealing with!

Good luck!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore