z

Young Writers Society

Writing, Staging and Producing a Play

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:25 pm
Gahks says...

At the moment I am about 40% of the way into writing my crime thriller, "Tabula Rasa." I am looking to stage it in a month or two, when I am finished with drama and public speaking commitments. I am trying to assemble a cast and crew who are willing to take my project on. Can you give me some advice on any aspect of staging a play, e.g. writing, directing, producing?

Thanks,

Gahks :D
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:44 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

You can never do enough character work with your actors. Make sure they know the person, not just the lines. There are all kinds of things you can do with method acting, like emotional recall (inducing states of extreme misery, fear or anger to get a more realistic feeling of them on stage), writing letters as their characters, putting themselves in different situations while in character (forcing them to think about how they would react in different circumstances) and even simply going through what they already know from the script. Make sure they know why they are saying the lines.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

All we can do is our best, and hope that it was enough.
— CandyWizard