z

Young Writers Society

Starting a Creative Writing Club: for Beginners

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:50 pm
View Likes
Gahks says...

Being someone who's morbidly obsessed with creative writing when hardly anyone else is (well, I suppose the GCSE/A Level students have some sort of excuse - revision etc.), I thought I'd start a creative writing society/club/dictatorship at school.

I would like tips, ideas, spiritual guidance - anything to help on my crusade in the name of creativity! :D

Thanks,

Gahks

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:29 pm
Kadie says...

Hmm, ideas, i go to a writers group so i can tell you a few that we've done recently.

1. Think of your favourite food. Describe it using senses. Like for see, how it looks, the colours, shapes etc. Hear, how it sounds when making/eating the food. Smell. Touch. finally, what it tastes like.

But theres a catch, while you're writing about it, you can't say what it is.

After like 20 minutes of writing, people read out what they've written, and the other people try and guess what the food is.

2. Get some pictures or post cards of scenery from around the world.

Everyone in the group chooses a picture, and then thinks of a character that is visiting that place.

You have to write a post card to someone (mother, partner, friend, etc) about the place that is one the post card, what activities you've been doing there and what the people are like and how beautiful or ugly the place is etc.

3. You must write as if you were in a dream. You have however much time you want to come up with the wackiest dreams you can think of. My group got some awesome responses for this :P

4. Our most recent topics have been the elements. Earth, air, fire, water. Like each session you could choose one of the elements, and then think of a scene including including them.

The scenes don't have to be obvious either.

For fire, i wrote a poem about a guy walking over hot coals.

For air i wrote about a girl riding a hoarse and the wind sweeping her hair.

For earth i wrote about building a sand castle.

For water i write about a spider in a pond.

Anyway, i hope you find these ideas useful.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:00 am
Rakun says...

Practice with they using several writings prompts googled at the amazing internet.
Only type in your google: Writing Prompt and, BRAVO!!!
Write same prompt and after ask:
What was you anwswer? Is similar to me?
Then, correct, edit, and give ideas.
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

I just write poetry to throw my mean callous heartless exterior into sharp relief. I’m going to throw you off the ship anyway.
— Vogon Captain (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)