z

Young Writers Society

Don't know what to write about!

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:04 pm
Azila says...

I get this a lot; I want to write really badly, but I don't know what to write about. Sometimes I'll look at the contests here on the YWS, or Writing Activities. I'm not writing a novel or novella, so I don't have one project that I can always go back to. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. If so, what do you tend to do?

Thanks!
~Azila~

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:02 pm
Leja says...

This totally happens to me. What I do sometimes is write outside my normal genre. Like, I usually write pretty realistic stories, so if I'm just looking for something to write, I'll maybe start a fantasy. Sometimes I'll continue it, sometimes I won't. Sometimes, I'll save one story to work on special when I don't have any other ideas. But that's the thing, is that ideas usually come in at least pairs. For me, at least.

Good luck! ^_^

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:02 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

The wanting to write randomly, I get all the time. I think I shall call it 'writer's itch'.

Here's some things I do to get ideas!

1) Look at random pictures and inspire yourself. Or imagine a still from a scene in your mind, and decide what's going on.
2) Word bank! Pick a bunch of random verbs and nouns (and adjectives if you'd like) and turn it into a single phrase resume of a plot. I can always find an idea that way, though it's not always a great one.
3) Dreams!

Otherwise, ideas just come to me at random if I let my mind wander too much. =P

^_^ Keek!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:10 pm
Azila says...

Sleeping Valor wrote:The wanting to write randomly, I get all the time. I think I shall call it 'writer's itch'.

Haha! I shall call it that too, if you don't mind. What a perfect name!

Thank you both for your replies! I actually have done the "word bank" before...

Thanks!
~Azila~

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:05 pm
time_fox says...

That happens to me a lot and it gets very annoying. What I tend to do is close my eyes and just think of anything a cat, dog, or a pet that I had or want to have and write about that. If that doesn't work I look around me for some ideas. One time in history I saw a poster that said "I want you to join that army" or something like that and I started to think "why would someone want to join the army." and other questions started coming into my head so I started to write the questions down and put what I thought was the answer. I got about 2 pages of writing in and I turned it in for a grade and got a B+ (some spelling and grammar problems) So if you look around you can probably get some ideas from some were. Even when you don't expect it.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:07 pm
Aedomir says...

Think:

What genre do I like?

Go on google and type 'romance' or whatever on the pictures to inspire you.

Then jot down a few characters.

Then, if you are doing fantasy, make a random map. Study it until you are inspired.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
— Unknown