z

Young Writers Society

Sexual Favors

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 pm
Snoink says...

Okay, so I'm writing the synopsis for FREAK and the words "sexual favors" seems to come up in my brain when describing the second part of the story. I sort of want to use that term, since I can't think of any other description to describe it that would be nicer, but at the same time I don't want to scare off the agent.

Should I just go for it and hope that the term doesn't freak out the agent, or should I just omit it from the synopsis?

I'm describing a particularly important character's cruelty, by the way.

Thanks! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

I haven't read it (though I think I saw it on this site, is it still up?), but have you considered just saying 'favors'?
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:58 pm
Snoink says...

It wouldn't quite make sense that way, or at least in the way I intend it to be. ><
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:00 pm
Sureal says...

Sex sells. ^_^
I wrote the above just for you.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:01 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Go ahead and use more detail. If it includes a rape scene, say that. If it's someone selling themself, say that. If it's mutual, just say it's sexually explicit (if it is that is) because they're going to need to know what happens. There's no use ommitting it, getting asked for the whole draft and then being told they don't like that stuff.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:04 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Well if you can't do that, then I'd say use 'sexual favors'. Because in the end, that's what's in the story, right? How's it going to scare them off any more in the long run than them reading the story and seeing that it involves sexual favors? If they're not going to like it, they're not going to like it. Just go for it. ^_^
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:09 pm
shanan-cat says...

Sex does sell but why are you guys talking about his?
It's absurd!
"Laugh like no one can hear you, dance like no one is watching, and love like you're going to doe tomorrow." --Unknown

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:16 pm
Aedomir says...

How about saying blah blah blah blah favours if you know what I mean blah blah blah

Its called freak! Why would it scare off the agent! But ye, it needs to follow the rest of the plot really
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:34 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

tania wrote:Sex does sell but why are you guys talking about his?
It's absurd!

Because Snoink has asked a question, and we're answering. Did you even read the first post?

As to the question, I would just tell them straight - if they're not going to like it, they're not going to like it. All you'll be doing if you disguise it is allowing them to read it, and then reject it. May as well include all the major details, so that you can find the agent who'll like it the most, and so be able to do the best job with it.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

Be led by your talent and not by your self-loathing ... everything beautiful in the world is within you.
— Russell Brand