z

Young Writers Society

Story Planning Method

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:49 pm
cat4prowl says...

Until recently, I have never planned any of my stories. They never had a resolution and sometimes not even a conflict. I had tried the plot lines where they tell you to write down one sentence that described the plot of your story. The problem was I didn't have a plot. I tried millions of ways to get it down, but I always started writing without anything at all. My stories were pointless.

Obviously, I needed some help. I thought of something I had once heard, you can either start a story with a big conflict and then add characters or a character that you put in a conflict. I had never tried the second one so a couple weeks ago, I wrote down a character thingy. Here's what it looked like:

Name:

Height:

Weight:

Hobbies:

Habits:

Quirks:

Clothes:

Personality:

Appearance:

Background:

I filled out one at a time, thinking especially hard about the background since it would really define them. Right now I have thirteen characters written. Once I had all of those down, I found that I wanted to write a story about dragons. I started drawing maps and pictures at school and added that to my collection. From there, my story started writing itself. My characters ended up with a school, so I opened my school agenda/planner. Basing it off the rules and things that I found there, I wrote a schedule, background of the school, mission statement, and some standards.

After that I thought of an interesting character I wanted to have, while I was writing the background I decided to make him be in a war to explain his strictness. Now I have an elaborate war story with vengeful villans and get this... a conflict and a plotline.

Amazing, huh? That's what I thought. Here are some things I've noticed as I planned, these mostly apply to a fictional story:

make your characters relate back to some people you know and give a reason for every attribute they have

if you cant think of rules or regulations, go to an establishment or town similar to yours and look at theirs.

relate most everything back to the world you live in, observe customs that your town has and apply similar things to your stories

make a reason for everything you do, and a way (ex: if someone dropped a bomb why did they do it and how did they get it)

make maps and drawings when you're bored

watch people, it will make your characters stronger

I changed from never writing a conflict to obsessing over one. I jot down notes during the day, I actually think out reasons for why things happen or what the history is. I'm in shock.

Hope this helps!

So anyways, the reason I decided to share this was because I wish someone had something like this when I was totally lost.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:22 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

great advice, cat! I do most of that myself. :D of course, you have to be careful when you're making your characters like people you know - someone could get offended lol.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:33 pm
Emerson says...

You're just starting with character instead of plot, which is a great way to do things. :D

Conflict is a must have, but characters are conflict, even if it is outside conflict. One character wants something, that the other character is keeping him from getting. Immediate conflict.

It's like "Stick your character in a tree and throw rocks at him" thing. You're figuring out who is stuck in the tree, instead of figuring out what the rocks are made of.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:15 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

give a reason for every attribute they have

I love this. It had become my new favorite tip... *confetti*

watch people, it will make your characters stronger

Nope, never mind. This is... Ack! I can't choose!

That is some excellent advice there. I do my character planning quite differently from you (I do very little - if any - character charting or the like... instead, I discover the character as I write the first draft and eliminate all the inconsistencies and strengthen the characteristics I like in the second draft) but your way works for many people and you have made it very simple to understand.

I changed from never writing a conflict to obsessing over one. I jot down notes during the day, I actually think out reasons for why things happen or what the history is.

I understand where you are coming from. I once wrote about six different versions of the same fight and ended up never being satisfied with any of them.

This was some first-rate advice. Thanks for sharing. I agree - this is stuff I wish I had known when I first started out writing some of my works. It would have made my life so much easier without the constant banging of my head on my desk. And it would have prevented this flat spot on my forehead...

;)

Good luck with all your writing...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:27 pm
Eimear says...

Heyhey, I was just like you a couple of months ago....I kind of just started writing my novel with whatever thoughts fell into my head, literally making it up as I went along.

It took me almost six months of doing this, before I realised, my story line was totally unplausable, my narrative forced and my characters two -dimensional and rather irritating as a result of this.

But I had the bare bones of a story. And I liked it.

So right now, im taking each character, and really getting to know them. It's amazing how much they actually tell you (In a manner of speaking), and I get that feeling when you can't believe they've been a secret violinist the entire time you've been writing about them.

Phew. I went off a bit on that, but I just had to tell someone I'm in the planning process right now. I don't know why, but it helps just letting it all out.

Thanks,

Eimearxx
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:53 pm
Stori says...

Add me to your group! lol I just write things as they come. Which means I have a lot of ideas, but nothing in order. Ugh.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

A beautiful funeral doesn't guarantee Heaven.
— Haitian Proverb