z

Young Writers Society

To Character Chart, or Not To Character Chart...

Do you fill out biographies/charts/etc. during character development?

Yes, always
5%
No, never
21%
Sometimes, if I feel like it
74%

Total votes : 19

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:43 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I tend to not write character bios or questionnaires. I tend to discover my characters as I write the first draft, then by the second draft, I know them well enough (or discover them more) to understand just why there are doing what they are doing and their reasons for doing so. Asking questions and filling out forms just doesn't do it for me like plain old cruddy first draft writing. Plus, when I do actually fill out a chart, the character always ends up changing when I write them anyway.

Is there anyone out there who does it my method? I know there are a lot of outliners out there and character chart filler-outers.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:00 pm
Kadie says...

I never used to character chart, so i'd always find that my characters personalities would accidentally change as i was writing.

So i like to keep at least a basic character chart handy, something with a couple of facts, a little bit of my chracters past and a couple of quirks and what not. I think it really does help in the long run.

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:45 pm
Writersdomain says...

I think it really depends on the author and the character. I only write charts for a few characters (namely, the more complex ones that are harder to get my mind around). And the problem of changing characters is an issue too, though often a character's changes do follow the nature of their character and hopefully aren't completely out of the blue. Starting a first draft to get to know a character can be a great idea, though often times it calls for lots of editing. Character sketches work wonders too.

I actually wrote a tip on this a long time ago, if you want to take a look at it here.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:33 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

I've tried doing character profiles, but more often than not, they lack in detail. A lot. I never know how to answer half of the questions because I just...don't have most of those things figured out. :| I'd like to think that once I actually complete a draft, I'll know the characters well enough to be able to do them in the future. Currently crossing my fingers for that to happen, especially the finishing a draft part.

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:50 pm
Gahks says...

Sometimes I'll do it if I've hit a wall - thinking through the characters can trigger off new things that might add to the plot.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 am
Fishr says...

Hardly ever. I have one chart for one of them because this character possess a multi layer past. Basically, there are many layers to him. So I have a chart on hand to reference but I don't follow it like gossipal. It's just a guide, nothing more, nothing less.

I tend to not plan my characters and write as it comes to me. This way I have the freedom of first impressions, and nothing is forced by me or my characters.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:19 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

I do that, but I don't "chart" exactly. I just dedicate one or two pages to them in my sacred pink composition notebook, and I write about them. It looks something like this:

Marcella Lucille Beauregard: Firebrand

She's street-smart and tough, hardened by life. Very much a tomboy. Competitve. She was a total daredevil until her dad died; now she avoids everything that reminds her of him. Quick-tempered. Stubborn. Pretty antisocial, but mostly because she's afraid of being hurt again.

Fears: Fire, the death of those she loves, being weak.

Favorite color: Red and blue; earthy, elemental colors.

Dreams: Be a pro surfer...and not much else. A lot of vague, dissatisfied dreams.

Hobbies/Interests: surfing, music, doodling, tormenting Mrs. Everett, writing, blogging, avoiding people

Birthday: Septeber 4, 17 yrs. at the start of the story

Favorite animal: killer whale

Favorite food: bit of an obsession with pork rinds

Role model: her dad before he died. Now she refuses to admire anyone.

Miscellaneous: Rarely seen without her headphones. Doesn't dress up because she hates being compared to other girls. She gets a rush from hiking in storms and swimming in rip tides - things like that. Outgoing but rarely friendly. Into sports like yoga, kick-boxing, weight training.

don't know if that helped or not. *shrug*
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:30 pm
Emerson says...

I only did this once, for Mea Culpa but I never filled out the whole thing, and it did help me for them because I needed more information.

With most of my character's now though I develop them through use, and with Sam. There is nothing more fun than asking your characters questions you know that will embarrass them! I've also come across a lot of new plot ideas this way. We play a game that we call CD, or character dialogue. It's role playing only without action (in most cases? Sometimes we hit people or cough or exchange things) so that all of the story telling and answers come right from the characters. It's real fun, and I get to know more about her stories! She only tells me so much.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Reviews: 1
Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:40 pm
Matto says...

I rarely make up charachter charts, when I start out at least. I have the mindset where I do virtually no planning at all and just hope the story can flow naturally. The thing is that I always mean to plan out everything, though. Usually what I end up doing is writing the story concentrating more on the action than the charachters, while simultaniously making notes and slowly filling out the chart as the charachters develop themselves. I don't know if that really makes much sence to anyone else, but for me it seems like that way the charachters show me who they are through their actions, rather than forcing me to fit the story around them. Then I can also create their pastbased more around what I think will be important in the story as I continue, rather than pre-planning stuff and then discovering that it may be impossible (or have to stretch) to work in.

Plus, when I start a new story I'm really eager to get to writing, rather than having to sit through hours of chart-filling.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:59 pm
time_fox says...

I almost never fill out those things or I never really make a plot either. It reveals itself when I write the first draft. Whenever I do write a pot or character bios because they get way off when I start to write. So when the first draft is done and I look over it of couse there are some place that don't make any sence but thats why we go and look over it and make changes that we need too.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:04 pm
Aedomir says...

I need to do one of those, in fact I think I will start now. Great idea!
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:57 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

I sort of do character rants. I talk about the character as if just describing them, and go all over the place. As I go, I uncover new things about them, and often end up changing what I started off with. I've tried filling in the 'fav food', 'fav clothes' and all that, but it gets dull.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

Plus, we offer technical support for your convenience.
— nasstands (likely a spambot, but a polite one, eh?)