z

Young Writers Society

How many words is the average novel?

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:12 pm
Eimear says...

I'd say about 40,000 to 100,000 for young novel.

Saying that, when I wrote 50,000 words for nanowrimo, it fitted my story just right. I guess every novels different.

J.K Rowlings novel's got progressively bigger untill Order of the Phoenix...but then they started to go down as she built up the tension and sliced the word count.

Hope that helps,

Eimearxx
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:45 pm
Rei says...

Sureal wrote:Well, you'd find it extremely hard. Many publishers would reject it out of hand or claim it's 'unpublishable'. If you're really lucky you may find a publisher willing to give it a go ... but really, when it comes to a business as competitive as novel publishing you don't want to stack the odds against yourself anymore than you have too.

It really depends on the publisher and the genre of your work. I know that sci-fi/fantasy publishers like Tor are more willing to publish longer books than say, McCleland and Stuart. Which is one of the reasons why an agent is so helpful. As much as we writers can research the publishers, agents know better who will publish what and can convince the editors that it will sell even if it is shorter or longer than the typical book.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

In the winter months, snowstorms and rainfall in the Patagonian Ice Fields can drastically affect the landscape. Worsened by heavy winds, such storms can reduce visibility and lead to glacial calving, ice collapses, and avalanches. During these conditions, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian