z

Young Writers Society

Writing two stories at once...

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:28 am
khfan890 says...

The title and the description pretty much say it all. I was writing one story, when I thought of another I would like to start, in the hopes of one day getting at least one or both published. I still plan on writing that one story as well, but I was wondering if this is a bad idea.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:42 am
Jiggity says...

Not particularly, no. It depends on your skill as a writer, and the level of focus applied.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:40 am
Monki says...

Personally, I can only write one book at a time. (Believe me, I tried two, and it was bloody hell!) The only advice I can give you is to try it for a few days (maybe even weeks) and if there's very little or no progress, STOP! Just work on one.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:56 am
Sleeping Valor says...

Don't do it!!! I have so many started but unfinished stories it isn't funny. I find an idea I love, then suddenly one that I like more comes along...and then an old one becomes appealing again...and I end up with hundreds of files all over the place that might never see themselves turned into a finished story.

My suggestion: Write down both plots (in as much detail as possible) and work on actually writing the one you can see the most clearly. If ideas for the other come to you, write them down stay focused on one at a time. Otherwise you might spread yourself too thin and suddenly lose interest in both.

That's just my suggestion, you might not have the same problem I do. =P

Best of luck to you!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:06 am
lucky says...

I think that whether you write two books at once or not is dependent on your writing style. Try it and if it works for you, do it. Personally, I can only focus on one at a time! :~)

Best wishes!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:15 am
Tres*Chic says...

It really depends on what you can do and what you prefer. Many people find it easier to concentrate on one at a time becasue that way you can give your full attention to it and not get confused. But if you feel you will be able to write two stories at once to a high standad, then that's up to you.

Happy writing! :D
I love muscical theatre...West End here I come!

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:29 am
khfan890 says...

Thanks for all the help guys! Sleeping Valor, I was thinking of doing what you said before I read your post. Now I know I have to do it. Well, I'm gonna go write some story!!

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:38 pm
Gladius says...

Personally, I have a bit of the same problem as Valor. I start one, then before I know it I've got over a dozen. ^^; XD However, I find it helps to keep writing; if I get writer's block on one, I usually get an idea for the other. That way I don't have these huge no-writing periods.
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

Reviews: 0
Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:31 pm
Pacific says...

Is there a way you can meld the two ideas together?
I was in the middle of my NaNoWriMo story when I came up with an idea that I loved but didn't think I could use it. So I pouted. I wanted to do the idea, not my NaNo story.
But I found a way to use the idea into the story. Maybe you can too?
It may take some tweaking, though.
-Kiley-
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. - Rita Mae Brown

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:08 am
GryphonFledgling says...

No, I don't think that it is a problem at all. Sometimes one needs a break from a particular work but they don't want to completely give up writing for the time, so it is a good idea to have several projects.

I agree that you have to manage yourself carefully, otherwise you might lose inspiration for one. But as long as you don't get rid of it, you may one day come back to the old one.

I (like a lot of those above me apparently) do have a million projects floating around. But I figure, if I had never thought of them, I would be that many story ideas short. And plus, the story doesn't always have to follow the initial idea.

I say take a whack at it. If it doesn't work, then don't worry about it. It doesn't mean you are inept. It just means that you are focused.

Good luck,

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:50 am
Jamie Falcon says...

Personally, I have some issues writing if I'm not writing two thigns at once! =D By doing so my brain is constantly producing ideas, and somehow, it'll help me better get to know any new characters that I create. I guess you could say that I am one of those people who function in chaos? =]

--JF.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:34 pm
time_fox says...

As long as you keep writing them no. If you finish both of them that's awesome ^_^ I have that problem were I will start one story then start writing another. The thing is though I wont finish them and I know that so what I do is I will focus on one story and until that one is done I wont write the other one. I will start it but I wont write anymore until the other one is finished first. So far it has been working for me.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
— Mark Twain