z

Young Writers Society

Stupid Creative Writing Assignment--NEED TIPS!!!

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:48 am
Monki says...

Okay, so today in class, Ms. Rosario lays this on us : 'So, I've been thinking about a really good assignment for you all. Since you ARE my AP Creative Writing class, I have decided that your assignment will be to write a novel. It's due by the end of the school year (meaning beginning of June). And I will be helping you step-by-step in class to create characters, a plot, etc.. You know I wouldn't just tell you to write a novel, the end. I'm not like that--you know me better than that. But, anyways..' And she went on to say that to be a Writer/Author, you need to be a very good (word for word, this is what she said to my eighth grade class) bull-shitter. (She's an awesome teacher, and she trusts us not to tell anyone that she cusses in front of us or anything.) She knows that I'm in the middle of writing a novel, and said that I'm ahead and I'll get finished before anyone else. I've decided to do away with the one I'm writing now. It's not worth while. In fact, it's not going anywhere. Seriously. Anyway, any tips on how to circulate idea flow? I suffer from LOI (Lack of Ideas). Lol. Anywho... tips from kindly generous young writers like me would be appreciated. :)
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:58 pm
Rydia says...

Well you're going to need an idea that you can take all the way seenas this isn't a personal project so try to make a list of things that interest you. Start with genre. What sort of novels do you find easiest to write? Then maybe come up with a few good characters and some setting while you work on plot ideas. If you give us an idea of genre and style, we may be able to suggest a few ideas that could inspire your plot.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

99 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:28 pm
Monki says...

Thanks for helping me out, Kitty. Okay, well... genre should probably be fantasy or like teen fiction (like "chick" type stories). Style... unsure of what you mean by 'style'... Elaborate?
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:26 pm
Via says...

*sighs* I wish my teachers were that awesome in high school! :)

Did she give you guidelines? (length, certain allowed scenes...i.e. limited sex or violence) anything?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

99 Reviews

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 am
Monki says...

She's giving us the 'Guidelines Paper' tomorrow. :) I hope my teachers in high school are as cool as her (and teachers I've had before)! I suppose I should appreciate her now then. Lol.

694 Reviews

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 am
Via says...

LoL! You have to fill me in on the guidelines!! *English teacher in training* I'm totally going to make my students do this if it turns out well for you :)

99 Reviews

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 am
Monki says...

Wow! You're going to be an English teacher--a very good one I'm sure! You're a very good writer. You'll be fab! Anyways... I could even scan it into my computer and you could see exactly what it looks like once she gives it to us. :) Which is probably tomorrow. She'll definitely type it herself, so at least there won't be a copyright infringement (sp?) or something like that. :twisted:

694 Reviews

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 am
Via says...

Awesome! Thanks! I wouldn't use it word for word, I would of course add in my own things, but that would be wonderful! :)

99 Reviews

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:19 am
Monki says...

Yes, yes!--You're welcome! Lol. Do whatever you wish with it. I'll PM you as soon as I've scanned it in.
;)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:24 am
Rydia says...

By style I just meant are you the type to use lots of description or do you favour dialogue? That sort of thing. And fantasy should be pretty easy to work with. Decide what aspects of fantasy you want to include - what races, places. Will you have mythical objects? Perhaps the plot could be some kind of quest? Or if you're looking for something more original, maybe incorporate some realism and go for a murder plot or something. Mix two genres?

Whatever you decide to do, you'll have to keep us up to date on your progress!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:06 pm
snap says...

It's funny, because I'm majoring to be an English teacher, and this is something I always said I'd do. "I'm going to have my class each write a novel! A short one, but a novel." I'm going to teach high school, needless to say. I don't do kids. :)

As for the actual ideas, I'm a big fan of the idea web. But an idea in the middle, and just start branching off of it. It seems to help me a lot. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

99 Reviews

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:08 pm
Monki says...

Kitty > Oh! I like a little of both! I favor description, but I almost like dialogue just as much. I will keep you all updated on my progress. (AND, I finally started my novel. I have the first part of the prologue.)

Snap > That's awesome! I'd love to be an English teacher, but I don't have the patience and it's not a very good paying job. I wouldn't be very committed. :( I do those idea maps too! It really helps. That's how I started my novel--an idea map!

So... what do you two like to write?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 pm
Snoink says...

If you want, you can always instant message me. I love idea brainstorming, but I prefer to do it in real time. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

99 Reviews

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:11 am
Monki says...

Snoink > Will do, Snoink! ;)

694 Reviews

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:56 am
Via says...

Guidelines yet Mooonki?

Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that's not what Rome is about! We should totally just stab Caesar!
— Gretchen Wieners