z

Young Writers Society

names

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:52 pm
blustarr9009 says...

about a year ago, i was writing a short story, and i was having a ton of trouble with making up names for my characters. So i went to a library to get ideas, and i found one of my favorite resources EVER! it's called 1001+ Best Baby Names. The names are alphabetized, and it tells you what country they are from, and what they mean, which really helped me.
what about other people? what resources have you found that have helped you?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be bought with chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
~Patrick Henry

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:30 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

I just google names! :D

*I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, you probably should have posted it in Writing Activities, or something of the sort*
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:50 am
Azila says...

Yeah, this shouldn't be here. I'll have a mod move it to Writing Tips.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:25 am
Alteran says...

*moved*
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:27 pm
blustarr9009 says...

*hand on forehead* oops...that was stupid of me...i'm sorry!
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be bought with chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
~Patrick Henry

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:45 pm
Leja says...

Don't worry, blustarr ^^

Anyways, a resource I really like is www.behindthename.com where you can search for names by country of origin, gender, letter, and all kinds of other awesome things. Actually, I think every story I've written, the name has either come from that site, or the origin of it was looked up there. *hugs name site*

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:35 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

www.babynames.com

that one's always good for me. and, of course, my handy-dandy phonebook. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:01 am
Firestarter says...

See these similar topics for other ideas:

Names

Names?

Creature Names

First Names

Last Names
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:41 pm
chocoholic says...

When I was young I always wanted to change my name (as every little kid does), so I had this name book and was always looking for unsual names. Some of those spilled over to my writing, and for ages I would always use that book for names.

Now I perfer to use names that I just think of, or use the internet. Especially when I need a certain meaning or ethnincy.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
— Charles Mingus