Indented sections

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:17 am
Warlock says...

What are indented sections in writing?
AND
Why/when do you use them?
"If reality can destroy the dream; then why can't the dream destroy reality?" - Can't Remember

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:29 am
Loose says...

Aren't they (**may be wrong**) used in identifying paragraphs in published novels?

Eg.

"Bob decided he wanted to go for a walk, but no one wanted to go with him. He asked around, but everyone turned him down. The dog, his brother, his mum, they were all busy. So he went for a walk himself.
-(indent) While on his walk, Bob came across something rather fascinating. It was a shiny new watch. He really wanted it, but decided not to keep it because it was someone else's, and stealing is wrong."

please, mind the disgusting story used there.

But isn't that what they are? **Unsure**

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:36 am
Sureal says...

Yeah, you just use 'em to signify a new paragraph. On YWS, we just put a space between each paragraph, because idents don't come up.

Indents can be used in poetry also, but for different reasons.
I wrote the above just for you.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:49 pm
Meep says...

Also, if you're doing a blockquote (often used for quotes more than forty words long in scholarly papers) you indent everything, not just the first line of the quote. */geek*
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:27 pm
Warlock says...

Well being a geek is never a bad thing ;) It's what separates the dreamers that have genuine possibilities from those who don't :P

Oh, and thank you several times, I thought it was paragraphs, however the versimilitude (Yay I think I used a new word correctly!) of that was doubted; primarily because the one of the skill descriptor found on the AQA GCSE website said to include indented sections - This caused me to think of it as something more than it was.

P.S.
-Someone tell me if I used versimilitude incorrectly.
-Also, when can you change your YWS username? Warlock I just picked because it was all I could think of, and now it just seems so... bleh(?)
"If reality can destroy the dream; then why can't the dream destroy reality?" - Can't Remember

No person can be a great leader unless he takes genuine joy in the successes of those under him.
— W. A. Nance