z

Young Writers Society

Losing Motivation

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:14 am
BrokenSword says...

Hi all, it's been a while since I stopped by.

I have a question. I started a story on FFN, it's 42 chapters long so far. It was really my first story written solo (I had role-played with other people for a couple of years before). There's some corny stuff in there that I had tossed in because I was running out of ideas, so I'm not completely happy with the story. Should I just retire it? I don't have any motivation to finish it anymore and I've run out of ideas. I'm currently working on another fanfic that is taking up more of my time and creativity, as well. I don't like forcing myself to continue a story.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:49 am
Snoink says...

You can always rewrite it!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:52 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

You've obviously spent a lot of time on this story, so I think that it would be a shame to scrap it completely. What I'd do is I'd put it away for a few weeks, or a few months, and not think about it. Then I'd come back and start doing a rewrite. You should then be able to look at it afresh. This way, you can use your break time to work on your new story.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:46 pm
snap says...

I agree with the above. Rewrite. Not right away, though. Give yourself some time to think. Comeback to it in a week or a month, and I'll bet you'll have a fresh perspective. It's entirely your decision, but my advice is to take some time off, and then try a rewrite. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:48 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

when i realized that my first draft was awful, i took about six months off from it and did a whole lot of tinking and writing. i started keeping a notebook with descriptions of my characters' personalities, hopes and dreams. i wrote out the major plot twists. i asked myself questions and answered them on paper. overall, it really helped me sort out the confusion i had in the first draft.

hope that helps!
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:35 pm
BrokenSword says...

OK, thanks for the responses. I haven't written more to that story for a long time--6 months--but I've decided to put it on hold until I feel more motivated to write on it.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 pm
Meep says...

You seem pretty attatched to it, so why not take a little break from it and then go back and rewrite it? I mean, work on some other stuff, or just take a little writing break if you think that'll help. If you take a break and find that it still doesn't interest you, just put it on the shelf for now. You never know when inspiration might strike again, or it might not, and that's cool, too.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:04 pm
Twit says...

What type is it? What fiction is it a fan of? I'd suggest taking a break and letting it compost in your mind for a bit. You might find some new angles.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:54 pm
time_fox says...

It seems you have put a lot of hard work into it. I wouldn't just completely stop writing it. What I think you should do is just put it away for a little bit and not think about it. Then pull it out when you want too and just reread it and you could generate some new ideas for it.

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune