z

Young Writers Society

Starting a sentence with And or But

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:31 am
Tres*Chic says...

I try not to start a sentence with And or But, but sometimes I feel I have to do it for effect, although my computer doesn't like me for it.

:wink:
I love muscical theatre...West End here I come!

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:35 am
Loose says...

I think it's ok when you're doing speech, or the sort of "diary" form, something I call "informal first person", which is sloppy anyway, so a few ands and buts aren't going to harm it much.

However if you want your work to be respected and classy, avoid it.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:22 pm
Sureal says...

It's accepted now days, as long as you don't over do it. It can really help the flow of prose if used well.

Don't use it in essays or scholarly writing, though.
I wrote the above just for you.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:17 pm
Firestarter says...

I think it can work in stories, but as Sureal says, not regularly. If used incredibly sparingly at the right moment, it can have a good effect.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:11 pm
StellaThomas says...

If you're writing as if it's the person's thoughts, direct or indirect, then yes. Perhaps that doesn't make a lot of sense. But it can have a good effect...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:51 pm
Arion says...

I've never had a problem starting a sentence with and or but, just because, that's my style of writing. It's choppy. (see).

So, I think and or but works for certain styles of writing more than others, it all depends on the feel or flow you're trying to establish. Or, at least that's my opinion.

But I could be wrong. ;D

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:29 pm
Wolf says...

Sureal wrote:It's accepted now days, as long as you don't over do it. It can really help the flow of prose if used well.

Ditto. I use it sometimes, but mostly in poetry. And I'm an amateur poet, so I don't know if it has a good effect or not. -_-

Yeah...occasionally I'll use it in prose, to produce a kind of vague mood. You know?
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:48 pm
Fishr says...

I deplore starting any sentence with "but." It just looks weird and is subpar. I do start them with "and" but very sparingly when writing stories. I avoid both senarios when writing reports.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:21 pm
Emerson says...

I'm reading this book called When you Catch an Adjective, Kill it: the parts of speech for better and/or worse by Ben Yagoda. I suggest it not only for its helpfulness (I'm learning!) and because it is bust-your-sides funny.

The excerpt on beginning with and/but is kind of long though...Otherwise I would type it up. It is seven pages in length (mind the pages are short, but it is still a lot to type up). It talks about how you can start sentences with "but" and they are affective in arguments, but in some cases, are completely wrong. Here is an example from John Kerry during the presidential debates of 2004:

I'm going to get it right for those soldiers, because it's important to Israel, it's important to America, it's important to the world, it's important to the fight on terror. But I have a plan to do it.

This is when starting a sentence with the word but is completely wrong...To summarize the section, it explains how but can be used to start sentences, and work very well for arguments ("but love is tricky" vs. "however, love is tricky", but ends with a witty quote, "Always scratch your but." Of course, by scratch, it means "cut" or "edit out". ^_~

Er, in basic terms... you can start a sentence with "and" or "but" just be sure that it is best in that form, and if editing would make it an even better sentence, quickly do so.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:04 pm
Snoink says...

**Moved to Writing Tips**

Okay... now my thoughts?

Do it! It's awesome. We love ands and buts.

;)

No, but seriously, there's a song called, "And I Love Her" and it's so pretty because there's this poetry and then, almost as an afterthought, Paul says, "And I love her."

So yeah. Do it! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:28 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

i agree with Snoink. I think it's great for effect. we had to read a book in English last semester called "The Lively Art of Writing," and it talked about how "But" in some cases is the only word to use. for example, to be "sophisticated" you would use something like:
She jumped, terrified, as a figure moved in the dark. However, it was only a cat.

THAT is like being gagged with celery. "But" would work somuch better in that case. You have to judge what sounds better.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:32 pm
Trident says...

I say go for it. I think any fiction author would tell you the same.
Perception is everything.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:20 pm
Leja says...

Technically-grammatically, it's totally incorrect. But that doesn't mean it isn't effective for style (just like this sentence ^_^)

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:16 pm
Phoebe says...

Psh. That's so old-fashioned. If you have a good reason for doing it, and it works, then do it. The rules exist to be broken (but only if they can be broken without harming anyone's sanity or furthering the death of the English language).

^~
What would Brad do?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:11 am
GryphonFledgling says...

Go for it. I agree not to overuse it, and never use it on some formal paper for English, but in a work of fiction, many rules were made to be broken.

I don't agree that this particular rule is obsolete, but it can certainly be ignored in choice occasions.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard