z

Young Writers Society

Turning Ideas into Novels

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:51 am
starrynight89 says...

Hello,

I don't exactly know how to overcome this bad habit of letting ideas wither way without turning them into anything. I do have these interesting ideas and I do write a few chapters and then I hit this invisible wall. It's not that I don't know what to do with the plot, it's just I can't write after a while and go on to another idea. I'm sick of it. Any tips/suggestions?

I used to think it was a writers block but, maybe I'm just too impatient to stick to an idea. I don't know! :(

Hope I didn't confuse you with my mini-rant. I just wanted to get this out of my system. XD

thanks,

--starry.
“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:33 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

The golden rule in this sort of case is just to keep on writing. Even if you hate it, even if you can't stand the sight of what you've already written, keep on writing. You'll eventually get through that invisible wall, and your writing should come back together again.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:22 pm
Manny says...

One thing that might help you stay with writing something is to start up character journals. Just write entries from the perspective of the various characters in the story. That way, if you begin to get attached to them, you're more likely to stick with it. :wink:

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:13 pm
View Likes
starrynight89 says...

oh, interesting advice Mantis and thank you for the advise Smurf :)
“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:14 pm
Snoink says...

Write your ideas down, focus on one and then categorically go through each idea until finally you finish each as a story. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:36 pm
Wolf says...

Maybe you can't seem to stick with 'em because you don't like them? I dunno. If I were you, I'd try writing excerpts from each idea and seeing how you like it. And Mantis's advice on keeping a character Journal is interesting - I might try that myself.

Perhaps you should just keep on writing, though. Once you finish, you can always clean it up and who knows? You might be happy with it. :wink:
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:02 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Mantis wrote:One thing that might help you stay with writing something is to start up character journals. Just write entries from the perspective of the various characters in the story. That way, if you begin to get attached to them, you're more likely to stick with it. :wink:

^ that worked really well for me. :D
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson