z

Young Writers Society

Sci-Fi Help

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:30 pm
mindoverflow812 says...

I'm new to writing Sci-Fi, I usually write historical fiction. So, I have no idea where to start. All of my ideas seem hopelessly cliche. Please help!
-mindoverflow812

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:39 pm
View Likes
Myth says...

Try reading science fiction! Research always helps whatever genre you prefer, you wouldn't write historical fiction without knowing a little [or a lot] about the era your work is set in.

Have a think about what sci-fi is to you, doesn't always have to be aliens and malfunctioning robots or evil lords blowing up planets. That's all I can say for now. Good luck!
.: ₪ :.

'...'

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:00 pm
deleted1 says...

Sci fi is what you make of it. Usually its easiest to get started in this work by doing fanfiction and then moving on to your own works. However if you want to take the direct route here's a few tips.

What time period?
What kinds of technology are mainstream and how does it influence people?
How do people interact and what social differences exist from modern times?
What do they eat and listen to? How do they do work?
Is everything a golden age or rather one of decay?

Figure out what its like to LIVE there and then use your ideas to shape the story. :)

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:23 am
Prosithion says...

buy an anthology or two of science fiction stories, and usually they are diverse enough that it'll give you an idea of what sci-fi writing entails. Read some Isaac Asimov books and stories. They are perhaps the best science fiction.

Good luck,
Pros
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:37 pm
Extraterrestial says...

well What i did, is that i tried to steer away from green slimy aliens and try and create something entirely new. Being that its going to be your own original book, if you decide to write it. You could create a new type of monster, you don't even have to include monsters in your story. Think of , for example: some mad scientist who has had a troubled life and is going loopy, and thinks he can take over the world. Hope you find this useful, if not i wont be offended as I'm new to, so i know how it feels. [spoiler] " You're insane, you well destroy everything"

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:07 pm
Stori says...

It's not like you have to stick to science exactly. Make some things up. For instance, you might have a place where certain rules of physics don't apply. Or maybe people develop unusual abilities in the future.

That's my advice, take it or leave it.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:12 pm
tinny says...

Ah, I would say that if you're going to write sci-fi try and keep it as accurate as you can. For me, there's nothing worse than reading something where the entire plot is based on some scientific event happening that just wouldn't be possible. I usually stop and try reading something else. I like things set in the near future, where there are changes, but it's still recognisable.

But, as the others have said before me, the best bet is to probably read science fiction itself and get a feel for it that way ^^
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:21 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

The others have given you some really great help.

I wrote awhile back a Soapbox on Science Fiction and Fantasy, it might help you out: Cal Soapbox #5

Good luck.
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:24 pm
~Lashes~ says...

Listen to everyone else! lol

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann