z

Young Writers Society

Annoying Writing Quirks

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:15 pm
CrystalSorceress says...

Today, I was typing up a scene I had written down in a notebook. I was looking at it and realizing that it was really terribly written. Now, I don't know that my writing is exactly good. I'd like to think it is, but whether it is or not, this was bad. My main problem with this is that I have to be in the mood when I write. I wasn't when I wrote that scene. I have to really feel inspired. This is very annoying, especially when I'm trying to be disciplined with my writing.

So, does anyone have any advice for this?

Thanks,

-Sorceress
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.- Theodor S. Geisel (aka Dr. Seuss)

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:21 am
the morrow says...

You just have to write; inspiration is a plus, but professionals would be scrambling for food if they always waited for their creative energies to perk them up. Set up a schedule--write at the same times every day. That is discipline. And when you set out to write something, finish it, no matter how painful it may be. With enough practice, not only will you get those moments of inspiration more often, and you'll still be able to write well without them.

I hope this was useful. Motivational troubles can be so...troublesome.
t h e m o r r o w
there is no gene for the human spirit

>>Online Writing Contest for Charity: Please Respond
[http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic32589.html]<<

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:16 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

I completely agree with the morrow. Try not to get disheartened, everyone writes rubbish every now and then, and it's better to write rubbish than nothing, because you can't edit/rewrite nothing.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:17 am
Emerson says...

Oh, certainly, I have advice! ^_^

Just write it, whether you are into it or not, whether you are "feeling it" or no. Especially if you are working on a novel, something longer, or something you would like to finish quickly. Short stories...perhaps not? But with novels, go for it. So what if it was trash then, yes? You can alway rewrite it, edit it, and mangle it so that the original story is not in existence later, and that is the best thing about writing. It can always be edited into beauty. haha.

Hope that helped.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:58 am
starrynight89 says...

I know exactly what you mean. When I write by hand, my grammar, spelling, everything goes out the window. But, the important thing to remember is that amidst all those errors is your idea which can be developed, right? Right now, I have a major writers block...and ideas start flowing when I'm about to sleep but when I make the effort to get up and sit in front of the computer- my mind goes blank! :/

All I can say is: don't throw the stuff in your notebook away, just tweak it a little or change a few things..

Good luck with your project!

Cheers,

--starry
“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:30 am
CrystalSorceress says...

Thanks, everyone! Your advice is much appreciated!
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.- Theodor S. Geisel (aka Dr. Seuss)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:32 pm
Snoink says...

I like to have my instant messengers on, and then I'll rant to people about how sucky my writing is, and they'll tell me to shove it and continue writing. And then I'll do it, hating myself and put away the work in disgust, once I'm finished with it. Then, after a couple of days, I'll look back at it. Most of the time, I actually like what I wrote (I've been writing for quite a while, lol) but in case I don't, I'll focus mostly at what parts I liked and then reread them until I get excited about writing them, and continue to write.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:17 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

there's a really wonderful activity that my English teacher introduced to me - it's called freewriting. you just sit down with a paper and pencil and write everything that comes into your head for about ten minutes. EVERYTHING. it's a great way to get ideas going.

but ultimately, you have to just write. you can't wait for inspiration. you have to take what you know about the plot and run with it.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:31 am
omgafilangi says...

Yeah, like lyrical_sunshine said, freewriting is an excellent way to get you in the writing state of mind. Whenever I feel like you do (which is pretty frequently even though I've been writing for awhile) I just pull out a piece of paper and start writing whatever I'm thinking about at the time (which is usually something like "this is stupid, i cant think of anything to say" etc etc). This will hopefully clear your mind and help you channel your energy and "get inspired". If you really want to discipline yourself, you just have to write everything down. Like anything else, writing takes practice, and the more you do it, the easier it will be to get inspired.
NaPoWriMo

The purpose of life is to fight maturity
-Dick Werthimer

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:45 am
View Likes
Monki says...

My advice is pretty much a mixture of everyone elses. I am EXACTLY like you. I can only write when I'm 'in the mood'. A while back, a very smart person gave me this advice : 'If you're the kind of person who can only write when they're 'in the mood', try writing at different times everyday and figure out what time is best for you to write.' That's great advice. Again, as everyone has said, don't get disheartened. And even if it IS crap (whatever you're writing that is), continue. Keep going. Go until you just CAN'T go any more, even if your life depended on it. Good luck. ;)
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:24 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Exactly.

First, try to journal a bit each day before you write. Just getting your general feelings on paper without the pressure of actually accomplishing a story or however many words you need, which'll definitely help.

Sure, there are times where you really can get down and concentrate on your writing, and have the capability to get swept away and the like. Unfortunately for me, it's pretty much 9:30 to midnight, even though I can't stay up that long [not a morning person]. But that's what editing is for!

See, that's the great thing about being a writer. We're not perfect, even though we try to be. Writers are made for rewrites. It's a second chance that's just a part of this wonderful life.

Anyways, some great writer [Christopher Moore, I believe] said that if you write a paragraph or two and just keep on editing it until it's perfect, then that's all you'll get. Two perfect paragraphs, and nothing more, because you wouldn't have been able to move on.

DON'T do ANY rewrites until you finish your book or short story or whatever. Get it all planned out on paper, first. Thoroughly. And if you happen to deviate from it, then that's okay, that means that you're progressing and getting somewhere, or you're just thinking it over too much.

Polishing should be one of the greatest joys [*hack*cough*die*] in writing. It's that second chance, to make everything better than before.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:01 am
GryphonFledgling says...

Following up with starrynight, NEVER EVER throw out what you have written. I don't care how bad it is, you may one day need it! Trust me. I have thrown out so many things that I wish I hadn't. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever...

And I know it sounds repetitive by now, but I agree with everyone. Everyone here has great advice. I would say to follow it.

Good luck with your writing...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian