18%
It depends
35%

Total votes : 17

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:47 am
Golney says...

Do you write with a plan in mind? Do you commit it on paper, or not? Do you prefer spontaneous storytelling over arcitechural plotting? Do you think there are any setbacks of outlining or writing without an outline?

I want to glean people's opinion on this matter, because I can't decide for myself which is more preferable to me. Whenever I write a story without outlining beforehand, the story seems filled with contradiction, and I feel like I have no control, as though it's as spontaneous as dreaming. I don't know whether this is how it's supposed to work or not, so if you're a write that prefer's the spontaneous approach, would you mind telling me what it's like while you write?

When I outline, on the other hand, details emerge not just in the story, but in the characters and setting, as well. But outlining can take a long time, and sometimes I wonder whether it would be more efficient just to write the story, without fiddling with ideas.

Perhaps all that's necessary to collect details is some critical thinking, which doesn't have to involve outlining. When most people refer to outlining, they think of plotting. But I consider outlining more than just plotting. I consider compiling data about your characters and setting on paper as outlining, as well, not just plotting.

What would you guys suggest I do? Am I supposed to feel like I don't have any control? That the story is as sporadic as a dream, while I'm writing?

As of right now, I feel as though I'm in between the two extremes..

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:58 am
Leja says...

I guess I can't really say I actually outline. I mean, I'll write things down in a list-sort of fashion, with random arrows and stars and notes all over it. When that page gets filled up, my mind is rather confused, but I write my "rough draft" anyway. This usually functions more as an outline than a first draft, from which it starts making enough sense to expand on and fix.

All in all, probably not the easiest process, but normal/neat/sane plotting/outlining actually confuses me more :? haha

16 Reviews

Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:08 am
Golney says...

I'm in the midst of writing a short-story, and I'm not using any outlines. Instead, I'm focusing entirely on the draft.

I like what you said about the first draft serving as an outline. That's an approach that would probably be wise for me to take in mind. I'm getting distraught with my first draft, because I feel like I don't know what my character's have in mind. In many ways, I don't know my characters, and I feel like this is going to lead to many inconsistincies. Of course, I could be mistaken. Whenever I worry about my draft not being cohesive, I end up with no writing accomplished. I guess I could backtrack if things in my story get to messy.

Some of the concerns that pop into my head is: what if I tell irrelevant details? What if I can't tie all of this together? Half of the time I'm not sure what's really going on! I get ideas in my mind, but sometimes, when I write them down, I decide that I don't like what I had in mind.

I'm sorry if you don't know what to make of my experience. I'm endeavoring to get through it, myself.

Anyway, I appreciate your input. I think I might just try following through with the draft, even if it seems pretty stupid :(

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:21 am
Leja says...

I'm getting distraught with my first draft, because I feel like I don't know what my character's have in mind.

This could probably be an outline in itself. A list, even, of how the character progresses. To use a simplistic example of character change:

1. MC (main character) is meek
2. MC is challenged/made fun of for her meekness
3. MC is still meek
4. MC is challenged further
5. MC reaches the breaking point of being challenged
6. MC realizes that in her context, it's better to be a little more outspoken
7. MC is still the same person, just getting used to her new-found quality.

See, there isn't really much to do with the plot, just how the character changes. Now, there will be events that go along with character change, but all I would be concentrating on above would be *character* rather than *plot*

Don't worry about the draft being cohesive! If you spend all that time worrying about the draft, you probably won't be able to finish enough to edit into cohesiveness ^_^ Whatever you do, don't get distraught! Keep working at it. Even if the first draft's unfortunate, the next drafts will then be sure to be better.

16 Reviews

Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:51 am
Golney says...

Thanks, Amelia :) I might just employ that technique you just showed me.

I don't know how many draft's I'm gonna write, but if I don't submit it until I'm satisfied with it, I'm probably not going to have anything to showcase. I guess just need to shove my editing aside, for the time being, and go easy on myself. There will be plenty of time for butchering when it's time for editing, and perhaps a little bit left during review.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:07 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I avoid outlining when possible. I might write down one sentence about what I want the character to accomplish, but if I outline, I get frustrated when my story doesn't fit into the boundries set up by my outline. And believe me, they never do. I have yet to have the story that actually fits into my outline.

My technique is just to write the whole stinking first draft. I take it on with all its little plot twists and add the new characters every three chapters and then when it is finished, I look at the kinks. And there are a lot: with no guidelines, the story goes crazy. Inconsistencies abound.

I also never do character charts. I write the character out and discover it as I go. Charts strangle my creativity. Is there anyone else out there who does that?
I am reminded of the babe by you.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:59 am
starrynight89 says...

I don't really outline until I sink my teeth into the story. I write until the plot files itself out but, outlining is needed once things get complicated. As for started out with an outline, don't do it. Personally, it puts pressure on me to follow I it and I almost never did. Like Amelia said, now, I randomly write stuff all over the page and write a draft. Then I edit it and try to comprehend the plot. Sometimes, when you write, you tend to get carried away and the plot ends up being hidden. That's when an outline is necessary.

I agree with Gryphon as well, I never do character charts. *shudders*. For me, they churn out lifeless protagonists. Also, the need for an outline arises depending on what kind of genre you're writing in.

If your a fantasy writer and have created your own world. It would be very helpful to jot down bullets about your world and how it is different from our own. If you're writing a Romance, I wouldn't suggest an outline because it's so reliant on emotion which cannot outlined or else it won't sound natural.

So, do you need an outline?
-Depends on what you're writing

Do you need character charts.

-Almost always, I wouldn't recommend it.

Hope this helped.

--starry
“Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.”

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:28 am
Monki says...

If only I COULD outline. I simply suck at it. I need to figure out my own way to do it. I do a brain/info dump every so often and I make Mind/Idea Maps and stuff to help circulate ideas, but that's about it.
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:09 pm
Gladius says...

Personally, what I usually end up doing is a partial outline, which I follow for the first, like, 3 chapters then completely abandon it and let the characters and whatever's stuck in my head take over. :grin: ^^; So, a little plot outlining with mostly what's in my head overruling it all. It does help me to keep my characters in line and acting/reacting realistically, though, and actually allows me to lengthen the plot from just "They have to go here and kill this guy" to "This is what they have to do before killing this guy" (just an example). Overall, for me they really keep events straight, not so much characters.
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:57 am
Samantha Eliza says...

I never used to outline, but then again, I've never finished anything but poems and short stories, so I guess it didn't work out for me. The first REAL story that I began with the intention of ending, with a set plot in my head (which has gone through MANY tweaks, believe me) has gone a bit haywire because I never wrote down any of my ideas. The NaNo novel that I'm STILL not done with I wrote a pretty rough outline of, because I only saw part of the story in my head and I didn't really want to think about the ending. And now, a story that I've just started, I outlined almost completely. I think that outlining can really help you, even if you have the plot in your head, because it's easier to follow a set format, like OK, these are the things I'm going to do, instead of being all over the place. It really helps your character development, as well. If you'd asked me a few months ago whether outlining was beneficial, I'd have said the total opposite of what I've said here, but it REALLY helps, to me at least.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs