z

Young Writers Society

Killer Personalities

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:08 am
Via says...

Interested in writing that thriller that will capture the minds of millions? Having trouble making your villain/killer believable and vicious?

Check out this article from the Writer's Digest. It covers topics like Narcissism, the anitsocial personality, the borderline personality, and the paranoid personality.

Killer Personalities

Craft vicious villains with this psychiatrist's guide to writing bad guys with real problems.

by Charles Atkins

It's such a disappointment to sit down with a scary novel or crime story, only to find that the killer has been portrayed one-dimensionally. Suddenly, the reader finds himself rolling his eyes in annoyance instead of being struck with fear. Readers want their characters—villains or not—to be realistic and multifaceted. They want to know why a character acts the way he does, and they want it to make sense.

As a psychiatrist and author of thrillers myself, I (like many authors) have turned to specific personality disorders to flesh out a character's motivation behind criminal behavior. Most readers are familiar, for instance, with multiple personality disorder (which tends to translate to one personality being good, while the other is a crazed serial killer). Realistically, though, multiple personality disorder doesn't figure into many real-life crimes and, therefore, it would be implausible in fiction. Not only that, but not all criminals fit this mold. Here's a whirlwind review of the dark side of human nature, so you can craft believable villains and direct your reader into the mind of a madman.

Read the rest of the article (with specific interests) HERE.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:10 pm
Rydia says...

Thanks for the link, Via, I've had trouble in the past with killers. Making their motives believable can be so difficult.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

"You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up."
— Metatron