z

Young Writers Society

Be a Foundation

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:40 pm
Fishr says...

Be a Foundation, Not a House: Description Will Be Your Downfall

Firstly, let me be totally honest in admitting I’m certainly no Saint either. In fact, my older work suggests I too relied on description to force a strong storyline. Perhaps even my portfolio will painfully show examples.

Regardless, description, or rather, over description will be a writer’s downfall. Lately, I have been doing quite a bit of reading in the Lit. Forums, and I’ve noticed a pattern. Too often inexperienced writers assume they can somehow beef up their plot or characters by describing every single detail, right down the color of a freckle.

Description is a handy tool but think of your story as a foundation to a house. Now, we know a house cannot stand against Nature’s fiercest elements, nor stay level without a proper foundation. The foundation is the spine, the bulk of the story underlining the little details such as the house. If we negated the foundation or swiped it, the house would crumble eventually if not instantly. A story is no different. Do not rely on mounds of details building up a three-story house, when the foundation has barely been built, which is the spine, the support system of everything you hold dear.

Be a foundation, and let your story stand against time. Do not hinder it with description or else, your house will crumble.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:58 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

I used to be the patron saint of over-description. I used to write entire stories because I wanted to describe things, and then try to weave a plot in around the random objects and setting that happened to be there.

I think I'm getting better though.

What you say is the truth, and is a very good way of putting it.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:02 pm
Twit says...

*feels guilty*

That's something I think I do too much of. I can only feel justified when I'm trying to add more words in, or when one of my characters is going off in a daydream. :roll:

Good tip and good comparasion as well. :)
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:58 pm
Fishr says...

I didn't mention it specifically but adjectives fall under the same catagory. If you wish to force me, the reader, to drop your book in disgust, filled with every other word being a description in a single paragraph, I will without hesitation.

I can promise that Author tenfold, I will never look at another piece again.

Writing is an art, yes, but it's the storyteller's prime job to drop clues to assist the reader to form their own pictures, not paint them a perfect canvas of details. Do not rob your reader's imagination.

Now that I'm done ranting, lol, thanks you two. I hope my tip proves useful in future projects.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

#longlivebigbrother
— alliyah