z

Young Writers Society

Motivational issues!

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 am
onceuponatim3xo says...

I don't know if anyone else gets like this, but, sometimes when I'm writing a story I don't feel like writing more of the story at all, and have doubts that its a good story/idea. But, I know that it is somewhat a good idea, and i really don't want to drop it - because I wrote a long story once and ended up just dropping it because I didn't like it, now I regret it but don't really want to finish it anyway.

Sorry for the rambling, but, basically I have motivation issues and want to know how to stay motivated with my stories.

:smt100 Please help! :D

- Onceuponatim3xo
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:48 am
Teague says...

Everyone experiences their ups and downs in novel writing. It's to be expected. :)

The best thing that I've found is to walk away for a few days. Just let it sit for a little while, and then re-read the whole thing once some time has passed. It gives your mind a bit of a break so you're not thinking "Oh sweet potato, not this rap again" or anything of the like.

You can also share what you write with a few close and trusted friends or family and ask them to give you a periodic kick in the rear. I find that having people I care about hounding me about something helps loads.

That's just what I do. Different things work for different people, of course. ;)

-St. Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:12 am
Snoink says...

Put it down and pick it up in a week. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

157 Reviews

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:56 am
onceuponatim3xo says...

thank you soo much for the help!!
-Buddha

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:26 am
Minniax says...

Oh man. This has happened with EVERY story that I have written except for one I recently started at the end of September.
I have high hopes for it.
I don't have much advice, just had to put my two cents in =]
=P
Currently reading: The Dead Zone by Stephen King

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:13 am
Jasmine Hart says...

There are a couple of ways to do this. Sam's way makes sense, but doesn't always work for me....sometimes, if I leave something, I never come back to it. Another way to do it is to set yourself a target of words. That makes it less daunting and it's so specific that you feel like you have to do it and that you have no excuse not to. For this, don't think, just write. Edit later. (Or never, in my case :oops: ....really should get round to that....) Hope that's some way useful. Don't stop. I finished a project and stopped, and now I'm having trouble writing anything...
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

157 Reviews

Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:57 pm
onceuponatim3xo says...

thank you sooo much for all of the help!

Like Minniax, I have motivation problems with every story I write (recently). It's really annoying because its probably even worse than writers block! But, your advice helps a lot!
-Buddha

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:22 pm
Audy says...

Yeah don't stop--keep writing, edit later, usually works for me too ;D

Also I find skipping along in your story helps sometimes too. There are times where I just don't feel like writing a specific scene, so I'll skip it and write the next chapter, until eventually I go back to it.

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:36 pm
Gwenevire says...

I know exactly how you feel. I am going through the same thing. Well I guess you could push that aside and keep writing. Or do what I am doing. Witch is pushing the whole story aside temporarily and writing something els for now...

I hope I helped! XD

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:47 pm
Wolf says...

Yeah, same for me.
What I'm doing now is just putting together profiles and plot lines etc for my story, since I go braindead every time I try to write it. :P
But yeah...just put it down for a while, write something new, and eventually you'll start it again. :)
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:58 pm
Meep says...

NaNoWriMo!

It just ended, but the only time I've ever successfully completed a longer story ("longer story" here meaning "novella") was by doing NaNoWriMo. It just finished, of course (it's held in November), but I know that a bunch of places to SuNoWriMo and related activities. (You could also just set it as a personal goal to write X words per month, but then some of the camaraderie is missing, and that's half the fun.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:49 pm
the morrow says...

It's easy to think of stories, but writing them can be discouraging. Things perceived by the mind don't always translate well into reality. Ever tried drawing an image you had in your mind, but it turned out to be a sickly conglomeration of not-so-straight lines and loud disproportions? ...But maybe that's just me...I've never been a good artist...

Let it evolve in your mind for a while. An idea is alive, growing inside you (wow, this is getting sappy). Don't stop nurturing it out of impatience.

If you keep abandoning stories, you'll never get anything finished. Stay with it, and it may become something greater than you anticipated.

And if it comes down to it, tie yourself to a chair until you finish it. Shock therapy is another effective cure :wink:
t h e m o r r o w
there is no gene for the human spirit

>>Online Writing Contest for Charity: Please Respond
[http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic32589.html]<<

Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus