z

Young Writers Society

Help!? :D

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:35 am
Sanna says...

Hello there :D
The reason I am writing this is because i have a few question for all of you brilliant minds out there.

My question is whether or not to turn my story into a novel a short story or into a play.

My idea begins with this 20 or so year old girl still living at home with her mother and the rest of her disfunctional family. Although it is not apparent it is safe to assume this young lady is horribly depressed. She sleeps day in and day out. Although some parts of the story we cannot see what she is dreaming, very early on in the story we do see was it going on inside her head. Her thoughts and dreams while she sleeps. Basically what wonderland was to Alice a vast ballroom is to this girl. Every dream she has is set in this ballroom along with the same character of a handsome young man begging her to stay. She wants to stay and then again she doesn't. Every time she returns to her dream the young man becomes more persistent along with her problems in the real world. Finally in a turn of events she decides to stay and live with this young man in the ballroom while in the real world she goes into a comma. Finally it ends with her dieing in the real world but not in her dreams.

This is a VERY brief description of my idea.

I know i can bring so much to the imagery of this story if it was a novel.
I see the imagery of the ballroom a huge deal in this story because this young lady decides to be there instead of living and also it is her dream, her sanctuary, possibly a representation of heaven. Heaven is perfect, so are our dreams and so must the imagery of her ballroom.

I know the whole story line could not possibly be as great as it can be without a lot of dialogue. This is why sometimes i think it could not be achievable if it wasn't a play. It is very hard (for me at least) to express a characters feelings and thoughts without direct communication and since this entire story is basically a man vs. himself plot I'm wondering how that can be accomplished if written as novel.

Help?

:smt115
-Susanna X.O.x.o

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:00 am
chocoholic says...

I think that idea would be best as a novel. It's too complex to be a short story, and it's too image-driven (?) to be a script.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:42 pm
Emerson says...

I'm going to move this to writing tips. It fits better there.
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild