z

Young Writers Society

Elements of [Procrastination]

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:28 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

It's not a friggin' piece of cake, getting into the writing/publishing business. Some of you may know that very well. Some of y'all may not.

Those who know the bite of a rejection letter, the dread welling up inside your heart as you sit in front of a blank screen or a white piece of paper, knowing that the words just aren't coming, probably are saying, "Uh, well, DUHH. Don't you know what it's like thinking up a million-page story, writing that million-page story, editing the heck out of this piece of crap, writing up a kick-arse query letter, sending this piece of crap off to someone who's probably going to say no, sitting around like an old dog for a month or more, running to the mailbox faster than a car everyday, opening the mail box to find a rejection letter, AND HAVING TO START THE WHOLE DARN THING AGAIN!?!?!?"

Hrm. Well, not really.

But I do understand.

It's always easier to dream with that uncapped pen in your hands, what a magnificent thing that book will be one day, sending the whole literary world into shock and awe. It's so much comforting to slack off, thinking that you really do need that character's dream of their ideal car to start this story off with a big BANG!!! instead of starting on the damn story already. Us authors revel in the art of procrastination, the skill of wishing for the impossible.

Have you ever read a really, really cruddy book? Keep it in your head.

Think of the second worst book you've ever read. Keep it in your mind, too.

Think of the top 5 worst books you've read in your whole little LIFE.

They've got something that you don't, right?

Yeah. A really badly written story.

Nuh-uh.

These guys actually SAT DOWN. Wrote that million page story. Put some ice on the rejection burn they got, probably more than enough to survive. They licked their wounds, they kept pushing and pushing for someone to like their story enough to publish it, but they got past the real barrier.

They WROTE the story.

Don't look at that person who's standing in the grocery checkout line, bragging about how their book's going to be the next best thing, and when you ask them what it's about, they shrug off your question and say, "Oh, I'm going to write it."

Don't look at that classmate in AP English who really is a good writer, maybe better than you, who everyone expects to become the "next big thing", and not you.

Don't look at the people who sweeten you up with, "Of course, honey. You're great! You really should send it out." In the words of J.A. Konrath, who's had more than 400 rejection letters, this is exactly the same thing as chocolate. Writers relish it, but it's not good for you. Treasure the evil english teacher who marks up your short story and gives you 60s and 70s. She's doing the best for you. You can't grow if you're not willing to stretch your roots out, if you don't want to go through the pain of it.

So get up off your lazy ass and start writing that story. You keep on writing, don't you dare edit anything until you've written the last word of what you want to tell, you can send it to me to edit if you want. You be like those people who pushed with all their hearts to get even that pathetic story published, you push harder that them, you hear?

And now if you'll excuse me, I've got to find out the exact shade of Ryan Thomas Bloodgood Desimus's hair.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:23 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

lol, nice rant. so true.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:06 pm
Wiggy says...

Loved it!

Reminds me of meself. :D
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

125 Reviews

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:34 am

Aw. Thank you.

I hope it didn't come off as a rant. I wanted it to be some sort of "encouragement" for those procrastinators like me. It truly is, Push it to the next day, and the next, and the next, you know? Annoying, but that shows you how I am. XD
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:32 am
alleycat13 says...

Yeah, it was a rant, but a good one. You made me cringe because I do all of those things.

I'll get to writing... :?
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

125 Reviews

Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:03 am

Aww. thank you?

don't worry, making people cringe is my dedicated profession.

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:37 pm
Audy says...

Ha! I needed this :oops: Thanks =D Procrastination is such a terrible habit that I've been cursed with. I do a lot of the things you mention, but I never stop writing completely. I simply write other things, is that worse or no? xD Either way, I should probably wrap this up and get writing again, no? =)

125 Reviews

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:58 am

Well, if you're writing other things to avoid the main thing you're wanting to concentrate on, then yeah, I guess that'd be a project you'd want to drop.

What the point of this is, just keep writing. Write whatever you feel like, wright whatever you have time for. Don't feel like keeping a full, day-by-day descriptive journal? You don't have to. Bits and pieces are fine, as long as you write something, consistently, every day. Essays for school don't count. Just on your own personal time, maybe something to vent.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:40 am
Monki says...

This is so friggin' awesome! I love you! Lol. J/K! But seriously, I want to ask you if it's alright if I print this out and plaster it to my desk (I'm not kidding-serioisly, can I?). I also want to tape it to my Creative Writing AP class binder for school, so when I feel like slacking off in that class, I won't. And the part where you look at that one classmate that everyone gawks over, who they say writes so well and then you get jealous but shouldn't-yea, that's me. In my Creative Writing class (it's Advanced Placement too!), there is one girl that always reads her writing to the class (which we are allowed to only if we want), and they always say how good it is, but then I read my writing and know that it's better. Then, I decided no it's not. But I just keep contradicting myself over and over and over again! I know that if I read my writing aloud like she does, everyone would be gawking over me. And trust me, I want the attention, but I'm just not good at taking compliments from people or hearing them say that my work is good, but then I think they're just saying that. :( Wow. I ramble on and on. I had better stop now. Well, I shall be awaiting your permission on if I may print this out or not. (Of course, I would put your username or even you name-name on it if you wish.)

Regards (from your newst #1 fan of your ramblings),
~The One, The Only-THE MONKI
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you.
— Welcome to Night Vale