z

Young Writers Society

The Timing of Conflict

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:58 pm
Dream Deep says...

Something I'd like opinions on, if you fine writers would be so kind. ^_^

My novel is giving me some trouble at the moment, mainly because the opening is much longer and drawn out than I had originally planned it to be. This brings to me to my question: is it better to introduce the main conflict immediately / nearly immediately, or is it permissable to use up one or two chapters just to get everyone in place and your characters to the well-defined forefront?

Merci, to all who care to throw their thoughts at this.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:37 pm
Emerson says...

I tend to like to have my conflict as soon as possible. That doesn't always happen. Also, doing that can throw the reader into the story, but it can also throw them in a lot quicker than they should be. Sometimes they need time to warm up to the characters, the situations, the before hand matter of the conflict. People say to start the novel at a point where, "Something in your character's life changes" AKA: where the conflict starts.

But I believe that if you have a chapter or two before the conflict starts to play out, and you can still keep the reader reading (Which, of course, you can) then you are fine to not have the conflict so soon. It's more of a preference, and if you can pull it off in that way, which I'm sure that you can.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:03 pm
Leja says...

I like to have my conflict [medium-well with lettuce and tomatoes, please...] introduced further into the book, like the second chapter or so, otherwise I think things seem too sudden. Although it depends on the type of story. If it's very adventure-oriented, I think I'd like it better if the characters were already in the midst of an adventure than taking the time to pack everything up, say goodbye to everyone, etc. Though if the conflict doesn't start immediately, I like to have it looming in the beginning. So that you know something is going to happen (and aren't bored/bogged down with exposition) but you're still not sure what.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:22 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Dreamy,

I think it depends on how you are writing, are you going for character-driven or plot driven. For me, Guttersnipe is character-driven, so the huge, massive conflict-ness doesn't come up until later on, but in the first chapter I have a scene with 'The Man', my main antagonist, and in Four, Regan and Archie get chased by a man with a knife. I think using two or so chapters to set up setting and character is just fine, this is the preferable way to go for me.

:D

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:15 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

If you're going to have a drawn out beginning, use it for developing your characters. and i don't mean, "This is Jack. Jake is 15. He lives with his mother and his father and his pet rat." I mean really DEVELOP your characters. Make your audience LOVE your characters. if you don't do that, then they won't even care what happens when your characters are in the middle of the conflict. savvy? :D

that's my two cents. hope it helped. ~Sunny
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:46 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Well, in my novel in progress, it's a while before the main conflict is understood. However, there are many other conflicts that are assailing the hero. Have at least something out of whack, even if it's as simple as a bully harrasing the character, and use these starting minor conflicts to try to give the reader as accurate a picture of the leads as quickly as possible, and give them a reason to care about them.

In my peice, which I'll get on here once I find the time to do some more crits, the story begins in a fight scene (obvious conflict), and plays out as something of a snapshop of who the lead is as a person. Chapter one implies a coming conflict, but not the conflict. Throw in a little twist, and all preconcieved notions as to the direction of the plot are pretty much thrown out the window. Then I have a new conflict, that in the process foreshadows the main conflict. Dilemas (and conflicts) evolve over time, with the real main conflict exposing itself for brief periods, perhaps realized by astute reader who pick up the hints. Only in the later parts of the book is the main conflict revealed, being a turning point in itself, and that leads to the climax.

Then again, I might be misinterpreting what "conflict" is. Eh, I think you can understand what I mean.

So, I don't think you need the main conflict known ASAP, but just have something there to keep the readers interest. Personally, I think it's more interesting to have the main conflict hidden for a while. If it's known from the start, the reader pretty much knows where it'll end, if not exactly how, and all you have are obstacles. If you keep escalating the severity of the conflicts, and hint at the main, I think you keep the reader more on their toes, and wanting to see what's going to happen next, as they know there's more to the story than meets the eye.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:09 am
Snoink says...

I get annoyed whenever the story takes too long to start. I don't CARE about the character unless the character does something useful. And if he doesn't? Why is he your main character?

So, even if you take a while to describe who the character is, you should always always have a hint of conflict. The first chapter of FREAK sucked until it hinted Sadie's father would come and take her away -- thus the start of the main conflict. So remember: your story is like the ocean. Sometimes it can have tiny waves and other times it can have tsunamis. Just as long you keep it moving somehow!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

"I think; therefore, I am."
— René Descartes