z

Young Writers Society

Stupidity Test

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:36 am
TN-firox says...

Well, okay. So I am trying to re-start a story. I had 126 pgs of it down when my computer went nuts and destroyed it. So now, in the midst of my anger and grief (okay, so this actually happened two or three monthes ago and I am just getting over it. Sue me.) I am trying to pull the pieces together and write my book anew.

Unforutately, I have this dreadful feeling that it is no good and stupid and rather childish. So how do you know? I assume I am not the first person this has happened to, so how do you judge whether something is worth re-writing? I worked on this for about a year and I have all the notes and stuff for it.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:39 am
Teague says...

Put simply and rather vaguely: Follow your heart.

Trust your writer's instinct. If it says you need a rewrite, you need a rewrite.
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:41 am
Snoink says...

Eep. I hate rewriting a story.

If the very idea of the story makes you hate yourself, don't rewrite it... or at least, don't rewrite it yet. But... I know how hard and difficult it is to rewrite a story, especially in that way, so I'm glad you had a chance to calm down afterwards. But it sounds you really love the story, so I think you should write it.

And really, who gives a pig's ear about whether it's childish or not? I love children's stories! :D

Just go for it!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:45 am
Meep says...

There's no such thing as a bad idea, there's only bad execution.*

I think the classic example is Stephen King's Christine. (... A possessed car? Are you serious?) Even Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are silly and childish when you think about it. In the first, a chosen one goes to a magical boarding school - neither of which are new at all. In the second, there's a big evil overlord that an underdog has to defeat by exploiting his One Weakness™.

So, maybe a better way to say it is that there's no such thing as a good idea, you just have to make it sound good.

---
*some restrictions may apply :P
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:51 am
Jiggity says...

I think those we're gross oversimplifications Meep, and an insult to one of the greatest works of fantastic fiction - Lord of the Rings. Remember that it was one of the very first books to use that idea, if not the original, and that its only a cliche now.

I could write a full length essay on why what you just said was so wrong; those were shocking examples to use.

Truly, the most absurd and ridiculous of ideas have already been published, so for the most part what you would think is cringe worthy, can in fact be quite tame and aceptable compared to previously published works. Not that I'm encouraging judgement based on comparison alone. As long as you have some solid characters we can relate to and engage with on some level, your fine. Characters carry the story, both literally and figuratively. Work on that, and interesting ways of saying things that have already been said, and you should be right.

Cheers.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:54 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

OOOH! same thing happened to me! i lost my disk with my entire life's work on it! but actually its ok now because i realized after recovering a few pages of my story that it SUCKED. so i'm quite happy to restart.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:52 pm
View Likes
Meep says...

I love Lord of the Rings, matey. I wasn't dissing it at all. Rather, I was using it as a classic example of something that sounds really silly when simplified, but is amazing because of the way it was fleshed out.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:33 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Maybe, if you really don't want to retype everything and stuff, then just take the old scraps and make a new story out of it. Tweak a few things, and it'll seem way better than just grudgingly retyping it all over again.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:11 pm
Elelel says...

I'm like Snoink, I honestly love a story that's a tad ridiculous. Because things just are anyway, in my opinion, and a story never seems to capture the whole of everything without it being a little silly or stupid. So, you know, don't take the stupidity thing as a bad sign.

Also, most people have moments where they think badly of their work. You really should ignore yourself when you do this. I find it works better than listening to yourself and stressing about how terrible everything you do is, because stressing doesn't really improve the situation, but practicing and trying things out does.

As for knowing ... that's a heart question, really. Ye old, Follow Your Heart, which has already been said. But if your heart is having difficulty getting around and is thusly hard to follow, or something, then just remember that you can stop at any time and it's probably better to have a go at it than to give it up for dead.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:04 pm
Twit says...

If you think it's going to be childish, so you don't want to write it, then don't write it.

But sort of what like Meep said. I'm thinking of plot right now, in preperation for NaNo, and to try to get it flowing, I was thinking of other plots of published stuff, of books and movies I like. And the thing that I thought was that none of my examples seemed to have much of a plot, even though they do. For example, simplifying the plot of A New Hope: Luke gets two droids, meets an old Jedi, has his family killed, goes with the old Jedi to a place where they meet another guy. They go with the guy to an enemy place, fight about a bit, rescue a princess, watch the old Jedi get killed, then go on to the rebel base, where Luke destroys the Death Star.

[Don't think I'm slandering Star Wars; I LOVE A New Hope sometimes to the point of indecency.]

What I was looking for was a plot that lead up to a climax, had the climax and then ended. Looking at A New Hope in that way, it seems to be just a train of events, laying out what happened. But that never crossed my mind when I was watching it, and it was only when I looked at it in a certain way that I saw it that way. When I watched it, all I was thinking about was how great a film it was.

The moral of this is, It All Depends On How You Do It.

The Sword of Shannara is based off of LOTR, but that doesn't stop it from being a great book. Eragon is based off of LOTR and Star Wars, and shows it in almost every word; the writing isn't very good sometimes, though not bad in other places.

Terry Brooks is good enough to get away with copying LOTR, but Paolini isn't.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:01 pm
thewonderworldofnight says...

I'M THE EXACT SAME WAY!!! like i was writing this thing, and i played it through my head like a bajillion times a day, and then it just seemed wrong. and i looked it over and it WAS wrong, then i went into a state of depression (hence me not having posted since, like, august), so...even starting over is hard, so if you can do that, you'll be fine!

to answer your question, there really is no way to know if your writing is good or not unless you give it to someone who will give you good constructive criticism. So...just post what you have on YWS! i'm sure it's great!

~Deoris
'"Many years ago, when I was young, I saw a fire, and what looked like death-- and beyond that, in the dark places, something...or some One, who knew me. Shall I at last find my way back to that wonderworld of Night?"'

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:21 pm
KingKamor says...

God, do I hate rewriting stories. I've had to rewrite my fantasy story three times due to computor failure, and I'm still agonizing over how dumb it seems every time I rewrite it. Like I always say (as of a few days ago), if you don't like it, make it better yourself. If you truly hate the idea of rewriting exactly what you had before, then suck it up and give the story an extreme makeover, like they do with those houses on TV, except with a story. Whenever someone does that, everyone's crying tears of joy at the end. >.>
"I think it goes until it's done."
"Don't we all."

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:22 pm
Polkadots says...

I think your be a bit critical of yourself. I agree with Meep, your idea can be silly but it's the way you exectue it and add your own spin to. If you still think it's silly, drop it for a while and go on to something else and if later on you want to add on to it just do it.

Journeys end in lovers' meeting.
— William Shakespeare