z

Young Writers Society

Coming up with names for places

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:34 am
Frederick101 says...

Ok the story im writing has me making up a world. How would ya'll come up with names for towns and countries and other places. If you have a suggestion for a name id' like to hear it too.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:51 am
AWritersFantasy says...

Web sites, like babynames.com, have become my best friends. I tend to look for names that sound unique enough to work as the name of a place. http://rinkworks.com/namegen/ is a pretty good place to start. I wouldn't recommend http://www.seventhsanctum.com/ unless you're going to be able to differentiate which names they give are obviously just silly...although all of the ones those generators give are pretty silly, so I don't know if I'd really say it's a good site for it. They have links to other generators, though.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:33 am
chocoholic says...

Think of a normal, everyday word, perphaps the name of a place, and then put it into an anagram maker. You can get some really funny names from there. Also, find words in different languages can be good.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:04 pm
Myth says...

You could always look in a map and take the names of different places. It doesn't have to sound fantasy-ish. The more realistic a place sounds, the better—at least for me it is.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:40 pm
Sam says...

I've always grown up in or near really small towns, and they have rather strange names...but the trick is that they're familiar, but not entirely recognizable. Take a drive off the interstate and you'll probably find the ones you need. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:58 pm
Leja says...

I look at my world/Europe map, pick a city/place that sounds interesting but that I've never heard of, and modify a few letters so that it sounds like a town my character could live in.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:48 pm
tinny says...

Pick up a road map, it's good when you're a trip too, and look at the places that are nearby. I did this on the way home from a holiday I'd been on once, and found tiny villages called Triangle and Sunk Island. It's fun ^^
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:36 pm
flytodreams says...

Same way I choose my character names; take an ordinary word or name, and play around with it. (Bear turned into Byeran, for example).
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

Your hesitation suggests you are trying to protect my feelings. However, since I have none, I would prefer you to be honest. An artist's growth depends upon accurate feedback.
— LCDR Data