z

Young Writers Society

Beating Writers Block

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:39 am
chocoholic says...

Unless you’re a supernatural being from another world, you would, at some point in your life, have contracted writers block. Even if you only started writing regularly yesterday, do you remember that essay for English last week that you just couldn’t do? Yep, writers block.

Some people will tell you that writers block doesn’t exist. Listen to me. WRITERS BLOCK EXISTS! Don’t doubt it. When I finished writing my first novel, it was ages before I could write anything good.

I’ve had more than my fair share of writers block periods, and I’m here to share with you a few tips about how you can help stop or prevent it.

PREVENTING

1. Work on two things at once. That way, when you finish one continuing with another will be easier than starting a completely new project

2. Write in notebooks instead of typing (or any sort of paper). If you have any environmental soul, you’ll give it your best shot when writing on paper, and not just throw it away when you get stuck. (This will not work if you don’t care about the environment).

3. Write everyday. This is essential. Ever since I learnt how to write, a day hasn’t gone past when I’ve done no writing. Some days it’ll just be copying notes into my math book and another it’ll be thousands of words on my novel, but the important thing is I’m writing.

STOPPING

1. Okay, you’ve just finished putting the final touches on your best work yet, and you seem to have lost your magical ability. Stop writing, go and read a book. Don’t even think about writing. Go and read, or pay a visit to your bookshop or library. Push writing out of your mind, and think about reading. Then write.

2. Watch TV. Trust me, this tip has worked wonders for me. Sit down (stand up, lie down, whatever you want) and turn on the TV. I recommend watching something you like, and drama and action-packed, but anything will do.

3. Eat. Yes, eat. Eat like you’ve never eaten before. When I finished my novel, I felt kinda sick. A good meal solved that, and after a few more I was able to write again. (I also learnt that chocolate doesn’t work).

So if you ever have the dreaded writers block, here are ways to deal with it!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:22 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Wow. Thanks! Two things at once? Might give that a go, it seems sensible...
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:48 pm
Polkadots says...

Really nice tips. I plan to use these with my next novel for Nano...

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:11 pm
Stori says...

Here's what I do.

1. Inspiration: I think of something that I just have to write down.

2. First draft: I write it, usually on loose-leaf, but always on paper.

3. Typing: I type in the idea and add from there. Editing is done at this stage.

4. Data: Save each new idea in a folder. Save new chapters as Word files.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

Yewis superiority!
— Several authors from the auspicious site.