z

Young Writers Society

Making a family tree

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:35 pm
Fishr says...

I just started this activity today, out of boredom. I thought I had a firm grasp of births, deaths, and marriages of my characters. When working, and focusing on the information, I realized I don't quite have a firm a grasp as I thought.

Still it is fun, if you want to give it a go, and pretty helpful especially when you have a ton of dates, surnames and different families to keep track of.

So try it out, and see where you end up.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:17 pm
Rydia says...

I tried this once and it was lots of fun and it helped me out a lot because I realised that I'd put the wrong year for a wedding between two of my characters and it would have made one of them nine years old instead of twenty-nine. Oops! I second the suggestion though. It's an excellent way to keep track of your characters and lots of fun.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:34 am
chocoholic says...

That's a good idea. I'll definetley have to try it soon. I do have quite a big family in my current novel, I should use it!
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:50 am
Manny says...

I've been thinking of doing this for a while. My current work deals a lot with genetics so one of these would help greatly.

Random avatar

Reviews: 12
Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:36 am
Morgaine says...

I found a great program that is so very very helpful for this. My trial edition expired but it's not expensive to buy. Just google 'Family Tree Maker' and you should find plenty.
Some of them even allow you to add pictures to each person which is great if you have art work of your characters. :smt045
The Narwhales Are Coming...
Beware

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:52 am
Myth says...

I recently did a famil tree. It was really fun expect the names took me a whole day to come up with.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:09 pm
Esmé says...

Oooh, I used to do that when I was bored, or simply when I had nothing to write about. Really enjoyed doing it, though, as Myth said, it took a lot of time to make up the names.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.
— Oscar Wilde