z

Young Writers Society

Making a whiny character believable?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:52 am
Polkadots says...

I have a character and her personality is meant to be whiny, but how do I convey this nature to readers without making her annoyance?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:00 am
Snoink says...

Oooo! This is a fun question. :)

If this is a main character, you're going to want to make her suffer. Which sounds kind of silly, but whatever. I wrote something about it here, so check it out!

http://snoink.com/kn/writing/characters/1.php

Also, you can't have the other characters take her too seriously. Because really... who likes a whiner? ;)

Next of all, you want to make her LEARN something. Because characters who don't learn from their mistakes are boring.

And making a whiny character with a sense of humor is fun! We went to San Francisco with Firestarter, one of the administrators here, but we forgot to bring food and we were hungry, so he was whining about it until we finally got to eat, but it was done in such a humorous way that it wasn't annoying at all. Also, we teased him. So you're going to want the characters to interact with her in a teasing manner, if it is genuinely funny. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:24 am
gyrfalcon says...

I find the best way is to get into their heads--it's harder to be annoyed when you know WHY they're whining (as long as those "why"s are legit).
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

Poetry and prayer are very similar.
— Carol Ann Duffy