z

Young Writers Society

Five Ways to do Creative Research

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:05 am
chocoholic says...

One of the scariest words in the world of writing- I’ve found- is research. Yes, that dreaded word that strikes fear in ones heart! But if you want to write a good or even semi-good novel or story, set anywhere and in anytime, research is essential.

Here are some tips for making it more enjoyable:

1. Talk to people- If you’re writing about a certain time, ask people that you know from that time. If it’s something like the Ancient Greeks, then ask experts. Maybe your librarian knows some stuff, or your history teacher. And ask you friends and family, they might know stuff that you don’t.

2. Request picture- Many museums will supply you with pictures for free or a small price. Ask politely, and they should send you some. These should be a great resource.

3. Read diaries and letters- It shouldn’t be too hard o dig up some diaries from the time. Especially if you’re writing about WW2. There’s a load of diaries from that time. It really helps you get a feel for what was going on, and you can imagine it quite clearly.

4. Spend some time imagining- You don’t have to do endless research. Take some time off to just think about what you’ve found out, and try to be one of the people. Imagine what it would feel like to be there.

5. Compare- If it’s a different time, compare the government then to the government now. Or compare the land, the economy. All sorts of things. If it’s a different place, compare it to your country. How are they different? Why are they different?

There you go, 5 tips on creative research. Of course, all writers are different. Some love research, they think it’s the best thing. But I know that there’s just as many writers who can’t stand it.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:55 pm
Rydia says...

These are some nice tips and you're right, research isn't always fun but it's essential. Thanks for writing these, Chocoholic.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:22 pm
Leja says...

1. Talk to people- If you’re writing about a certain time, ask people that you know from that time. If it’s something like the Ancient Greeks, then ask experts. Maybe your librarian knows some stuff, or your history teacher. And ask you friends and family, they might know stuff that you don’t.

I like this one! I always end up blabbing random questions while in the car... and then not explaining why I'm asking them XD

Another thing you can do is dig up old newspapers. Even the advertisements are fascinating! Alot of university libraries have them cataloged on film, and all you have to do is ask.

A lovely list, chocoholic! :D

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:25 pm
Meep says...

I must be some sort of freak: I love research (and character development, and editing).

Asking friends and family is always a good idea; they can usually at least give you an idea about where to start looking. (It can be awkward, though: I once came out of my room at 11pm to ask how long alcohol induced hangovers take to kick in. She was like "...? and why do you need to know this?")
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:45 pm
Twit says...

I must be some sort of freak: I love research (and character development, and editing).

You're not a freak, I'm just the same!
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:36 pm
Perra says...

I love researching, too! ^-^ Most of my research is done through buying wonderful history books and google/wiki searches. I also used the satellite images on google maps to find a nice setting for one of my things. Oh! I also use some of the info I get from the Discovery Channel, History Channel, and other fact-based channels/shows. If only I had the Science Channel..... :cry:
YWS gives me carpal tunnel.

Need a Critique?

Evil lurks everywhere, often in plain sight...Can you lurk in plain sight? Or is that just walking?

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:20 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

I only like researching if I have something interesting to research about.

Then again, I don't usually have anything dull..XD
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

gonna be honest, i dont believe in the moon
— sheyren