z

Young Writers Society

Three Things I Know About Writing

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:32 pm
Misty says...

I'm now an official instructor, and as such ought to be posting instructorly whatsits, instead of coloring in red and green markers on my (pages and pages) of book edits that my agent sent to me at 5:35 yesterday evening.

It's now 6AM.

I think that writers secretly love driving themselves crazy over these things. Tiny plot tweaks, switching a "the" from the beginning of the sentence to the middle, reworking a phrase.

Editing is undoubtably one of the hardest parts of writing.

But we're never going to have anything to edit if we don't get along and write it! So here's everything I know about writing (condensed, in the 5 minute version).

1).
"If you want to preach, get a soapbox, stand in the park, and see how much luck you have." Stephen King

Probably my favorite writing quote of all time. Writing isn't about pushing your own agenda. Whether that agenda is homosexuality, the plight of the mentally challenged, why Sam I Am likes Green Eggs and Ham, whatever. I don't care how touchy a subject or how much you believe in it, your writing should be a pure reflection of the characters' thoughts, feelings. You have to work to keep it authentic.

This isn't easy. I'm a borderline blatant feminist, and in the novel that's publishing (The Titleless Wonder, as we fondly refer to it at the agency), sexism is a big issue. Nearly all the characters are sexist in one way or another, and there is no real resolution to it.

Does it grate on me? Sure. But I'm not here to shove my religion, beliefs, down anybody else's throats. I'm here to tell a story, to tell it nicely, and to make it sound pretty and give you lots of emotion to sift through.

2). Have a reason. So Taryn goes on a journey across the entire expanse of the world with a mentor who teaches him the Ways of his Kind and he battles the Evil Shmieval and learns to become who he is.

Yeah, great. That's nice. Generic outline for a Fantasy. Or do you prefer a generic outline for a Women's Lit?

K, So Taryn is madly in love with the new woman working on his wealthy father's ranch but she's a bit of a snob so he woos and makes love to her then she spurns him and runs away.

Whatevvvaaa. Plot or no plot, generic or no generic, realistic, surrealistic, video-gamey, action-packed, I don't care. Why are you telling me this story? What is the purpose? If you can't tell me a reason why you're writing this story, you shouldn't be writing it.

3). Use your resources. Do what works for you. When I write, I put on a classic Disney movie, turn the mute on, and listen to Bright Eyes, Arctic Monkeys, Regina Spektor, Commander Venus, whatever works.

Being a writer is all about finding your you. To be a writer you have to have a voice. Your voice must be distinctive to you, and it takes a long time--years--of writing, to find. There are ways to move this along.

Find your time to write. (Mine, sadly, is between the hours of eleven PM and six AM). Find your mood to write. Find your writing music. Find your passion. Because believe it or not, your writing will only be good when it's something you're passionate about. You have to love your characters, and I do mean love.

Okay, I hate Samantha, my female protagonist, but I also love and am protective of her. It's kind of a "I-can-say-I-hate-her-but-you-can't" type of thing.

Those are my three tips. They're pretty easy. Don't preach, have a reason for writing it, and be an individual. A thing I've been saying to a lot of people on this forum is, "If this book is your baby, don't name it Ashley."

There are to many Ashley's in the world, and I say this fondly, but it's true. Give me culture, give me ethnicity, give me authenticy.

Those are three of the big things agents are looking for.
And of course, good writing. Which, like all things, has everything to do with taste.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:24 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Wonderful writing tips, Misty.

:D

I love your point about resources, because there are so people people I have come across who don't understand how to use them, or what to even do with them.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:43 pm
Twit says...

Good Misty; especially about not naming your baby/book Ashley. That's like the good advice you gace me on Scarab - thank you for sharin'!
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:10 pm
Azila says...

Thanks Misty!

...Though about the naming your book Ashley, I think you should change that to Kelsey. I've met sooo many Kelseys! I mean it's a fine name, but really, at each of the ballet intensives I went to this summer there were at least three Kelseys!

Anyway, I'm getting off topic... great tips! I will try to keep them in mind!!!

~Azila

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:07 am
KingKamor says...

Wow, you talk just like someone from the Writer's Forum on gaia.

She/he's already told all of this in much the same way you have, but with a bit more swearing. Good job. I guess that great writers think alike?
"I think it goes until it's done."
"Don't we all."

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:35 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

that was wonderful. thanks a lot. i liked what you said about writing with a puprose and not pushing your agenda.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:44 pm
Snoink says...

*claps*

This is wonderful advice! :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:12 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

brava, brava. great advice.

wow. 18 and you have an agent? how long have you had them?
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:19 pm
alleycat13 says...

Nice tips. I liked how you quoted Stephen King. I've read his On Writing book, and it helped me a great deal.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:39 pm
Myth says...

Thank you Misty! I especially love tip number two.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Revision is one of the exquisite pleasures of writing.
— Bernard Malamud