z

Young Writers Society

How long should a chapter be?

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:48 am
greenjay says...

So, here's my dillema...How long should my chapters be? (I write fantasy by the way.) Some people perfer shorter, some longer, some medium length. Which ever way you like just put up your opinion :D.

(Oh, and please answer in how many words, not pages, cause that depends.)

-The green one
Last edited by greenjay on Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
the greenjay strikes again...

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:51 am
Poltergiest says...

Oh, I don't know in words but I prefer really long Chapters. Short ones just annoy me. Mine are about eight to ten computer pages long but I've read books with longer...

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:54 am
Leja says...

I read somewhere that 1000 words is recommended, and that seems to be pretty good. I prefer things to be a little shorter, maybe 700-1000 words? just because it's hard to keep your place when reading online. For me, anyway.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:02 am
Meep says...

It's hard to say. I don't mind longer chapters in books, where I can stick a bookmark, but if I'm reading something online, I like chapters short enough to read comfortably in a single sitting.

Sorry I don't know what that translates into for word count, though.
Last edited by Meep on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

194 Reviews

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:02 am
greenjay says...

1000 words doesn't seem like much for a whole chapter. Might be though, I don't know that's why I'm asking :P. I'd say 1000 words or less is good for one online post, but that doesn't mean a whole chapter necessarily.

-GJ

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:03 am
Poltergiest says...

I don't post ym story in full chapters. That would be really big.

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

816 Reviews

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:08 am
Leja says...

I don't mean a thousand words per chapter, more like a thousand words per posted section. Like Sureal, he posted his first chapter in three parts, which makes it much easier to read. I happen to think that's a pretty good idea.

194 Reviews

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:10 am
greenjay says...

Ya, I agree with you on that. But forgeting posting online and such, how long should a CHAPTER be?

- :o

816 Reviews

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:28 am
Leja says...

Before online? eh, mine probably average somewhere around five thousands words or so, give or take a couple hundred :wink:

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:42 am
chocoholic says...

In my current novel I'm writing about 2500 words per chapter.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:32 pm
Elelel says...

Well ... I don't really do chapters anymore. Once when I was writing for NaNo I just could find good places for chapter divides ... so I just didn't bother. I figured it was legal seeing as I'd seen it done in real books. And it just works for me. So I just do it.

I don't really think there is any sure way of saying how long a chapter should be. Personal preference. Personally I'm not fond of reading long chapters.

When I start with a word count or a number of pages that I will have per chapter, I start pulling the story this way and that so it all fits and it gets all weird. So that's another reason why I don't bother with them.

But, an idea. Take what you think should be a chapter's worth and read through it, maybe get other people to as well, and see if people/you think it's a decent length. Things are always shorter reading-wise than writing-wise.

Well, I just rambled away. Hopefully I've said something interesting/relevent.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:35 pm
GingerLizzy says...

I'd say a chapter should be as long as you want it to be. It's your story and as long as it doesn't drag out for a long, long, time then I'm sure that is fine.

I too, like Elelel, am not a big fan of long chapter, but it also annoys me when I see really short chapters that are barely two lines long.

So as long as your chapter is fun and exciting, and holds enougb information that you think is relevent, then it's fine!

=]
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:08 pm
Firestarter says...

I think a chapter is as long as it needs to be. For me, that usually varies between 3000-5000 words, but it totally depends on the nature of the story. For some stories I've done short chapters, for others, very long ones. I think it's important to know the mood and style of your story. There's no *set* chapter length, in my opinion.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:10 pm
Polkadots says...

I agree with Pol. It annoys me for some reason when I'm reading a book and the chapter is only one page. If it's going to be that short you might as well combine it with another chapter or scrap it.

I think I like medium-length ones the most. Around 2000-5000 words but that's me guesstimating...

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:17 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I agree with Jack.

I think a chapter is as long as it needs to be. For me, that usually varies between 3000-5000 words, but it totally depends on the nature of the story. For some stories I've done short chapters, for others, very long ones.

A chapter, story, whatever you are writing should be as long as it needs to be to cover you intention or dominant impression.

I've written one or two page chapters to ten page chapters, or longer.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature