z

Young Writers Society

What music puts you in a writing mood?

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:19 pm
KingKamor says...

I always listen to music when I write. It's like it's urging me on to finish the scene I'm writing at the moment. Other times, they help to give me ideas of a character's past.

In what ways does music help/effect your writing? Here's a list of stuff some songs that help me in specific scenes:

happy-go-lucky days/scenes: "Crawling Towards the Sun" by The Hush Sound.
sad: "One More Time, One More Chance" by Yamazaki Masayoshi.
happy romance: "Allegro Cantabile" by SUEMITSU & THE SUEMITH
sad romance: "Intertwined" by The Hush Sound
fights: "Over My Head" by Sum 41, or anything by Linkin Park
bar fights: "Seven Deadly Sins" by Flogging Molly

Any others? =D
"I think it goes until it's done."
"Don't we all."

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:43 pm
Shine says...

Yup music in the background while u r writing helps u a lot.For me all types of soft music works a lot.it kind of helps to bring out your true feelings.And that way your work turns out to be a well written one.

Besides the songs you have mentioned I do listen to songs which are of Indian language like Hindi or bengali....and even if the language differs they do help.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:06 pm
Goldenheart says...

I write fantasy most all the time, so I listen to 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'Narnia' soundtracks while I write. I also listen to Nickel Creek's 'Why Should the Fire Die?'. They're all really inspirational to me.
"I hate the word 'Truce'. It means 'Fun's over'." ~My little sister

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:08 pm
Alice says...

I listen to Lifehouse, Blue October, All American Rejects, Goo-goo dolls, Plain White Ts and Avril Lavigne. For basically everything, music itself puts me in the writing mood.
I just lost the game.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:10 pm
gyrfalcon says...

I have a cocktail of random Celtic songs (including Brian Boru, Mystic's Dream, Skellig, ect.), a lot of John Williams stuff, the Pirates of the Carribean 3 soundtrack, the Harry Potter 5 soundtrack, and the soundtrack for the anime show Wolf's Rain, as well as a few misc. Michael W. Smith instromentals.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:07 pm
Firestarter says...

Bands like The Decemberists, The Shins, Death Cab For Cutie, The Postal Service and Delays. Also, classical and instrumental music. Along with film soundtracks, they can really get me going.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:14 pm
Sam says...

Oh, sure. Jack beats me to it. ^_~

Currently, the list goes something like this- Decemberists, Shins, Sufjan Stevens, White Stripes, Belle and Sebastian. Things that have a mix of cool lyrics, different melodies/meter/instrumentation- but aren't so hardcore or groovy that you don't pay attention to the writing anymore.

The Crane Wife [Decemberists] just makes me overly emotional. I love using it for intense scenes- the Island, especially. It makes my job a lot easier when I'm already in mood and mindset.

And The Life Pursuit [Belle and Sebastian] has this sort of airy, retro feel that's grand for upbeat or atmospheric things.

Honestly, I could ramble about music and my projects all day long- I'm sure Cal will be the first to agree. ^_~
Last edited by Sam on Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:15 pm
Evangelina says...

Amy Winehouse and Fiona Apple help me alot.
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:15 pm
Leja says...

Whatever's on NPR usually works. And if not, my James Bond record fills in perfectly.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:51 pm
KingKamor says...

The Hush Sound is starting to sound good with the new songs I'm downloading from iTunes. "Don't Wake Me Up" is pretty good for just about anything.
"I think it goes until it's done."
"Don't we all."

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:23 pm
Misty says...

Bright Eyes for happy scenes
Bright Eyes for sad scenes
Bright Eyes for tragic moments
Bright Eyes for insane fallacies
Bright Eyes for character development
Bright Eyes for beginning moments/relationships
Bright Eyes for...well, everything. But of course, we can also delve into Commander Venus and Desaparecidos ^_^

And a bit of Regina Spektor is *never* bad either. The Hush Sound, like people have already said, is decent, but I fell of a swing whilst listening to it and it now has dramatic connotations.

XD Cheers to music, sustenance of all writers (that and late night caffeine).

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:26 am
Fan says...

My immortal by evanescence has got me through everything so far. Planning to go for must be dreaming by frou frou for a couple of chapters then Wake me up inside by evanesence

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:42 am
Snoink says...

Cal's fan mixes, especially her FREAK fan mix. I mean... what's more to ask for? :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:56 pm
flytodreams says...

Everything really. The Veronicas, Corbin Bleu, Vanessa Hudgens, Evanescence, Ashley Tisdale, The Fray, Jesse McCartney, All American Rejects, Shakira, Miley Cyrus, Avril Lavigne, and lots of others....
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:57 pm
AWritersFantasy says...

In my "writing" playlist, I have Phantom of the Opera, Moulin Rouge, Wicked, Backstreet Boys (...dun kill me XD), Avril Lavigne, Disney songs, Lifehouse...and as of last night I now have some other songs that were made for my mix that someone here made for me.

As my artist’s statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
— Calvin