z

Young Writers Society

What music puts you in a writing mood?

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:00 pm
motherflippinflapjacks says...

The Hush Sound's "Like Vines" album is the album I must listen to when writing plays. I don't know why, but they are a part of my weird rituals. haha

I like listening to Paramore's "RIOT!" when I write fiction. That's a new habit. Their first album is what I listened to before.

I also like to listen to This Providence's self titled album when I write essays and stuff. They've got good rythms that help me focus on my work.
"I wonder if Ryan realizes that he's really twelve and a passenger on the Titanic." ~ A loving friend

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:38 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

I'll listen to just about everything, whatever sets me in the mood ya know.

Currently, my favorite CD's to write to are Diaros de Motocicleta Soundtrack and Back to Black by Amy Winehouse.

Of course, I love listening to the mixes I've made.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:42 pm
Dream Deep says...

Like Cal, I listen to pretty much whatever puts me in the right mood.

The Chair has a lot of tanz-metall and melancholy orchestral music, sorrowful operas behind it to try to capture the atmosphere.

... to highlight the disparity, when I was writing "Gossamer on Cloud", I wrote it one sitting, listening to Genesis' Harlequin.

The point being that I find it hard to limit myself to one genre or style of music when I write. Anything and everything goes into the mix. Someone - and I can't remember who - said that you need the whole piano, the whole richness of human experience, and I think this could apply very directly to writing with music.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:13 pm
Polkadots says...

It depends on what scene I'm doing. I like to listen to Corinne Bailey Rae when there aren't too many action scenes and during action scenes I usually listen to Feist or Lily Allen.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:26 pm
Poltergiest says...

Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Hard Core, Hard Rock, All of the above. ^^

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

Reviews: 0
Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 pm
Nostalgie says...

Hmm... mostly anything by Broken Social Scene or Peter, Bjorn and John.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:42 am
Icaruss says...

I don't like to listen to music unless I'm writing a really 'music-y' scene. For example, I'll listen to Cocaine, by Eric Clapton when I'm writing about a well-dressed criminal beating the hell out of someone. But if I'm writing a conversation between a husband and a wife, I can do it better without something destracting me.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:03 am
Writersdomain says...

I usually listen to instrumental music - mostly from soundtracks. Some of my favorites while writing Lecraesa were The Hunchback of Notre Dame soundtrack, Kingdom of Heaven soundtrack, King Arthur soundtrack and .hack Extra Soundtracks. I also listen to lots of musicals - namely Les Miserables and Wicked, as well as some pop/rock, though not quite as much. One of my favorites currently is the CD Freedom composed by Michael W. Smith - gorgeous music. And then I also had a playlist for Tears that I listened to on shuffle often. So, I suppose it all depends on my mood. ^_^
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:42 am
Black Ghost says...

Pretty much anything, but I can *always* count on the likes of Evanescence or Imogen Heap to get me in the right mood. :P

MM

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:04 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Ya, anything really, though it can depend on what I want to write. Garbage, Evanessence, and Alanis Morisette are pretty good for getting me in a writing mood. Though, I'm usually in a writing mood...
Sometimes I have songs which remind me of characters, so I use them to get in touch with characters. For my last story, "Anya" by Deep Purple reminded me of one of the characters, so that would make me want to write.
I was doing a storybook a while back on TYWC, and I have all these songs that remind me of my character. Even now, I think of her when I listen to them, because I think she'd like them, or because they're about things she'd feel or agree with or relate to. And that's my music ramble over.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:41 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

it depends. i have mixes that i like to listen to depending on what i'm writing. i like Skillet a lot, they're kinda like hard rock with really emotional lyrics. i love listening to them.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 pm
sezPez says...

The Beatles! They have such a huge collection of songs that there's a lot for any mood:

Happy - Twist and Shout, With A Little Help From My Friends, All You Need Is Love
Sad - Eleanor Rigby, Golden Slumbers, A Day In The Life, Yesterday
Angry/Fight - Helter Skelter (well, really the only I can think of for this)
Songs you can get a lot of inspiration from for any mood -
I Am The Walrus, Strawberry Fields Forever, Across The Universe, A Day In The Life, Rocky Raccoon.

All their songs are written by probably the best songwriting combination in history (Lennon/McCartney) so to be honest it's hard not to get inspiration from them. And, it's great just to listen to :)

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:18 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

Paramore's new album "Riot!" is very useful. The lyrics are left up to you to interpret.

Every song on the record is used in my muse story, or inspired a lot of ideas/plot scenes.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:25 pm
Myth says...

I wrote a list of plot ideas and and stuff thanks to Cal's inspiring Chair mix.

Usually I listen to my assorted playlist, can be anything rom rock to classic and even yukky TV adverts.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Have a biscuit, Potter.
— Professor McGonagall