Young Writers Society

Flashback Alert!

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:12 pm
flytodreams says...

How do I signal a flashback coming up?

For example, should I type FLASHBACK followed by the actual flashback, or:

Memories filled her head. She had been ten years old the night her mother came in and warned her...

or

She began to cry as the horrible night replayed in her mind....and then the flashback written in italics.

I hope you can understand my questions. Please help me!
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:24 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I think the third option is the best, although of course the sentence would be better when you haven't dashed it off as an example. I find it's the easiest way to smoothen the transition into flashback. Unless your book is a wacky comedy, most certainly do not put FLASHBACK! before the flashback. What a mood killer that is.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:30 pm
Poltergiest says...

He he... That would be funny though. I can imagine reading a book and it saying, FLASHBACK ALERT! He he... But, uh, yea, working your way into it smoothly is the best way, and probably doing it in italics.

~Pol~
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:25 pm
gyrfalcon says...

As for myself, I normally put flashbacks into stream-of-conciuosness (i.e. Latrichia walked the corridors, seeing the hundred familiar things that brought up a hundred familiar memories...) or--cheesy and overdone, yes, but effective--dreams. Dreams are especially fun if you can manage to keep the reader guessing about whether it's a dream/flashback at all, without losing them compleately.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:18 pm
Meep says...

I like the third option best, myself.

Whatever you do, don't put "FLASHBACK" unless you a) have a kick-ass, jerky, short sentence sort of style and you honestly believe you can pull it off or b) don't expect to be taken seriously. *meep*

I also really like Gryfalcon's stream-of-consciousness idea.

You could also have the characters discuss the events in question. That can also be hard to do well without getting the "maid and butler" effect (two characters talking about things they already know).
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:25 pm
Saphira says...

I think that the third one is the best.
Working into a flashback slowly and making the writing flow better. I quite like the idea of writing FLASHBACK ALERT! but i think it would shock the reader too much!
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:03 pm
Sam says...

I'm a slave to the section break/italics thing, though most people don't like it so much.

I would try to avoid the 'memories filling his head', or something of the same vein- it's been done too many times and screams, "Hurrah! Angsty flashback!"

So, yeah...subtlety is a good thing. Your readers aren't stupid; they can figure out quite a bit on their own.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:32 pm
flytodreams says...

Thanks for the help! I prefer the third one too, but I was just making sure.
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:45 pm
Kylan says...

Don't even introduce the character's past memories as a flashback. Finish up your scene/chapter and then begin with the flashback. No intro, no swimmy screen. It's just there. And then when you're done with the flashback, begin a new scene as if it had never happened. Do you know what I mean. Don't title it as a flashback. Just do it.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:06 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Kylan wrote:Don't even introduce the character's past memories as a flashback. Finish up your scene/chapter and then begin with the flashback. No intro, no swimmy screen. It's just there. And then when you're done with the flashback, begin a new scene as if it had never happened. Do you know what I mean. Don't title it as a flashback. Just do it.

-Kylan

I'm glad you said that, as, coincidentally, In my novel I'm working on I'm going to have to use flashbacks, although none of the characters in the present will be involved in the actual flashbacks, so this is how it's going to have to happen.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:36 am
Snoink says...

I like the third one, but I wouldn't bother putting it in italics. Maybe I would change the stle a little bit so that it would be more run on and present perfect though. And a little bit passive. ^_^
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:55 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

KazSmurf wrote:
Kylan wrote:Don't even introduce the character's past memories as a flashback. Finish up your scene/chapter and then begin with the flashback. No intro, no swimmy screen. It's just there. And then when you're done with the flashback, begin a new scene as if it had never happened. Do you know what I mean. Don't title it as a flashback. Just do it.

-Kylan

I'm glad you said that, as, coincidentally, In my novel I'm working on I'm going to have to use flashbacks, although none of the characters in the present will be involved in the actual flashbacks, so this is how it's going to have to happen.

The problem with that is the reader's confusion of the timeline.

I think the best ways to write a flashback is to treat it as it's own chapter or have it in italics. I've also seen it where the title of the flashback chapter is dated.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:44 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

Blah. No "OMGFLASHBACK!!!"

XD

I'd prefer it in italics, if you're going to introduce it directly. When you want the exact information, or when there's going to be a lot of the flashback, then italicize it. If there's just a small quote, or about a paragraph-sized reflection, then sort of gravitate towards something like, "He had stood there, right there, on the side of the road."

Had is a vital word in that sentence.

Try reading some Sarah Dessen, especially The Truth About Forever. The main character recalls the death of her father, but in a subtle manner.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:59 am
Kylan says...

I think the best ways to write a flashback is to treat it as it's own chapter or have it in italics. I've also seen it where the title of the flashback chapter is dated.

That's exactly what I meant! :wink:
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:13 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Kylan wrote:

That's exactly what I meant! :wink:

Oh. Ooops. My bad.

:D
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil