z

Young Writers Society

Help me create a horribly cliched romance scene!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:13 am
Snoink says...

Yes... I know it's a strange request. Usually you try to NOT have it be all cliched. But I have to do it. And unfortunately, I sort of forgot how. ><

So... I need to write a horribly cliched romance scene where a guy confesses his love to his sweetie pie! The guy and his sweet heart are slightly different from each other... he's rich, she's not, etc., but he has discovered after an extended absence that, yes, he does love her. Etc.

Anyway, any tips? :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:01 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

A balcony. It's been a romance cliche for about 400 years now.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:04 pm
Saphira says...

Flowers and a Romantic song. Maybe him singing it to her as she leans over the balcony. (see above :) )
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 pm
something euclidean says...

Purple prose - heap it on, and if you're feeling uninspired I'm sure that you can get a helping hand from a cheap romance novel or two. Discribe pooling eyes, a heaving bosom, etc. If they get a little more lovey than glances and pretty words, make sure there's all kinds of flowery dialouge strung through things that most people don't talk during.

378 Reviews

Reviews: 378
Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:54 pm
sokool15 says...

Yes...I think 'whispering against her /his lips' is a very overused phrase. (Yuck, by the way. What about bad breath?) And lots of dumb descriptions. Also, have the hero say a lot of stuff about undying love.

~Me 8)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
~Albert Einstein

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:48 pm
Lynlyn says...

Yeah. If you don't mind reading through a bunch of purple prose, look to some airport paperbacks for inspiration. You know, the ones your grandma reads. Use words like "caress" and "tingle." Describe the man as a rogue/having roguish good looks. Give him stubble, even. But he's still handsome. And you can describe people's eyes as "gleaming cerulean orbs" if you want to be really cheesy.

May I ask exactly what possessed you to do this? XD
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:00 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Have them run to each other through a field of daisies. Dx

Have the guy have black hair that falls around his faces so it "tickled her plump, cherry lips, which were just as tasty as the afore mentioned cherries..." (OK, you can leave off that last bit) and she have long really curly blond hair that's never ugly or wet or anything. And the girl, let's call her Sue, has to wear abnormally tight dresses, all read, and insists on "stroking the manly bristles sprinkled across his ruddy/soft/pimply cheeks" (no pimply xD)

You know, the ones your grandma reads.

:gasp: How do you know my grandma?! (She's got loads of the filthy, cliched things...)

OH, and NAMES!

Give the guy a name like Drake, Coulter, Hunter, and the girl something horribly fancy. Annalise, Mirabella, Maybelle, you get what I mean.

Now I must write a blog rant on cliched romances. XD
ohmeohmy

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:10 pm
Meep says...

Have him swear to preform some sort of quest to prove his love. Bonus points if the things he swears aren't really possible and/or are not applicable to the current time period of your story. ("I'd give you the moon" is a good one, or "I'd walk around the world.")

I second the recommendations of a balcony and a love song. Again, bonus points if he plays guitar and sings to her. :)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:34 pm
flytodreams says...

Make the Romeo say something along the lines of:

"I would walk on fire for you!"/"I would walk to the ends of the world for your love."

You know, make him say he would do this and he would do that...for the girl in question. :D
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Denouement says...

Have him whisper in her ear softly

When the guy confesses his love, have the women go 'Oh (NAME)'
and then they kiss
Characters are people too you know!

Reviews: 1
Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:33 pm
A Darkened Mind says...

Have them kiss in the rain if at all possible. That seems to be pretty popular in movies and books. You can also use "Tall, dark and handsome." as a description for the male.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:38 pm
Leja says...

Yes, there must be rain. Maybe you can throw in the part where they run across the room/beach/road to each other in slow motion.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:08 pm
Areida says...

You could have her pretend to be angry with him but then all her resistance must melt when he pulls her into his arms (which are either toned or rippling with muscles, of course).
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:37 pm
Rhea says...

Oh, and when they kiss, make SURE that "everything else melts away."
http://oddgoddess.blogspot.com/
I love my blog.

"Better to be unborn than untaught, for ignorance is the root of all misfortune."
..........Plato

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:37 pm
-Save-Ferris- says...

"He pulled her closer, her skin warm against his rough hands. He leant into kiss and felt like all his troubles drizzled away. He was over the moon and he realised he loved her once again depsite there differences.
'Oh my darling,' he whispered, 'It has been so long and I have miss you so and I have now come to realise something. I love you.'
'I love you too,' she smiled feeling like she was floating on cloud nine."

^You get the drift x] Just make it as mushy and as sickening as possible.
“Promise me you'll never forget me because if I thought you would I'd never leave.”

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats—the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill —The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it—and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another.
— JRR Tolkien