z

Young Writers Society

When to ditch it?

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:43 am
Blooregard Q. Kazoo says...

"I like fantasy better, but it seems like all the good ideas are taken. "

That's your problem right there! Don't worry so much about being original or creative. If it springs from your mind, then by definition it's original. Just write something you would like to read.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:05 pm
Penhaligon29 says...

Never ever do this unless you feel like your story is going no where. I always try to keep my writing going. To me, it's like it's against the rules of writing. You do what you feel is best. If you want to move on, go ahead, but make sure that there is no doubt of doing this.
I lead the Curtain Club. Find out what this is by following this link:
topic20026.html

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:40 pm
Rhea says...

Never quit. Put the story away for a while then come back to it later (a week or 20 years...your choice) then come back to it with a fresh mindset.

EVERYTHING has potential.
http://oddgoddess.blogspot.com/
I love my blog.

"Better to be unborn than untaught, for ignorance is the root of all misfortune."
..........Plato

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:49 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Only ditch your story when you really, really hate it, lasting hatred, not this, "oh my chapter isn't working for me right now so I hate this book." And, like Claudette wisely said, keep everything you write, even if you think it's rubbish. Sometimes you need to put a little distance between yourself and a project before you can start to really appreciate it again.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

661 Reviews

Reviews: 661
Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:52 pm
Jasmine Hart says...

Ooooh, and I just thought of something else which might help. Power through!Just write, write, write until your first draft is done. Tie the editor in your head up and gag him/her until the draft is finished. Then go back adn rewrite and mess around with it all you want, as many times as you want. This is what works for me.Otherwise, I'd never get anything finished.
"Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."
-Maya Angelou

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:03 pm
crewgurl93 says...

Never stop!
Goth-Hippie?!

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore