z

Young Writers Society

To Romance or Not To Romance...

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:37 am
Joeducktape says...

Okay, here's the situation:

My male main character, Eli, loves another character, but she doesn't return the feeling. He attempts to woo her several times, but sadly, he is turned away.

My female main character, Kyra, is loved by another person. She is unsure of her feelings at first, and is completely unexperienced, but very slowly grows closer to him.

All fine and dandy right?

It would be, but the thing that's been bothering me for a long time is whether or not there should be an attraction between Eli and Kyra. There is definitely room for chemistry, and it would create interesting circumstances, but I don't want to get too angsty.

So, should I, or shouldn't I?
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:13 pm
Sam says...

As long as there are speed bumps and conflict along the way, it'lll be grand. ^_^ It's the sugary Cinderalla stories where everyone falls in love without incident that don't work so well- people need to work, especially when it's a rather unlikely romance.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:52 am
Leja says...

I don't see any problem with it. I'm gonna make a way-out-there analogy [that probably won't hold up in the long run]:

Say there is a guy and a girl in different homerooms, each of whom are the first in the attendence list for alphabetical order. If they like each other, why should they not have the opportunity to date if they like each other?

Personally, I don't think it matters a whole lot whether they're major or minor characters. As long as you keep them real people and you're not forcing them together just because they're the leading guy and gal. That would be... difficult... both on the author and the readers. Going back to my analogy :P the teachers wouldn't prohibit them to date just because they happened to have the same title on the "who's in homeroom" list. :D

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:01 pm
Sid says...

Well, how do you know when you are forcing your leading girl and guy together? Plus, if you do want to match up them up how do you do it without making it seem... tampered with?
Was there only one world after all, which spent its time dreaming of others? -- Philip Pullman, The Subtle Knife

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:08 pm
Penhaligon29 says...

If I were in your situation, I would write out multiple realtionships and problems for them. Maybe...

1) falling in love, pulling away, falling back in love, breaking up, falling in love, one of them dies.

or

2) falling in love, one falls out of love with the other, other works hard, one falls back in love, other falls out of love, falls back in love, happy ending.

There are tons of possibilities, so write it out!
I lead the Curtain Club. Find out what this is by following this link:
topic20026.html

A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.
— Roald Dahl