z

Young Writers Society

I can't get attached to my characters!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:52 am
sanguine_dreams says...

flytodreams wrote:On WordTripJr, there was a user who complained of getting too attached to his/her characters, and not being able to kill them off.

I have the complete opposite problem, I can't get attached to my characters at all!
Isn't being attached to your character vital to a good story?
What do I do about this?

Well, you need a balance. I used to be like the first person you talked about. I loved my characters so much I couldn't stand to see them get hurt. Now, however, I love them more when I see them persevere. The more they suffer, the better. I still don't kill them unless I've had it in mind they've had to die since the very beginning, or there's a really important reason that I have to end their lives.

I think it's important to connect with the characters in a story. They have to feel real enough for you to write what they would do or say, not just what you want them to do or say. If you don't form an attachment to them, how's the reader supposed to?
"My form is a filthy type of yours." -the Creature, Frankenstein

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:16 am
Firestalker says...

*havent read all the replies*

I dont think you have to get really close to your characters. Knowing them is fairly good. Try creating a MC you really like.
--
Who is not Insane one man ask, the answer being a fool.
Are you Insane the same man asks, - "Oh yes!. The Mad Hatter being saner!"

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:04 pm
Dynamo says...

When I'm writing something that puts my character in a conflict they have to resolve, I put myself into their shoes and think of what I would do in their place. It may not be accurate, but it's a good place to start and it'd give you some ideas. You see, all the characters in a story derive from their creator's personality in some way. Always think of each character in the story as a part of yourself, that's what I do and it's never steered me wrong.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

Reviews: 2
Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:20 am
freewriter says...

In one of my novels I'm working on,I have a small puppy in it named,Salamander (weird name I know) and sometimes when I get bored I pretend to play with him and pet him etc.So I would say yes it is important to be attatched to your characters.
"Mommy, why does that man smell like cheese?"

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:58 am
Gahks says...

If you can't get attached to your characters (in other words, live, breathe and feel them), then they won't manifest themselves as living. breathing and feeling entities. So yes, getting attached to them is very important. (Although I've never tried having sex with one - has anyone done that? Ew.)

Anyway, some suggestions:

1. Take your character for a walk. Have them react to the mundanity of ordinary life as it is played out before you. Would they stroke the neighbour's cat? Do it. What would they shop for at the supermarket?

2. Fill in a job application for your character's ideal job. CV, covering letter, the works.

3. Write a monologue: a passage or scene in the 1st person that could be entirely separate from what you're writing. Freewrite; let the character's thoughts come to you. The topic can be as boring as you like: the more ordinary, the better.
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:35 am
Squall says...

We have characters in narratives because they are conventions used to help tell the story on the whole.

How exactly do they help tell this story? What aspects do you need for a character to be able to help tell the story?

Costume, dialogue, actions, thoughts, feelings, internal and external conflicts etc. Consider these aspects when you are developing a character.
Last edited by Squall on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:15 pm
Gahks says...

Dream of the Fayth wrote:We have characters in narratives because they are conventions used to help tell the story on the whole?

Yeah, to some extent, but in my opinion they enrich the story on a personal level and give it a human depth and texture, while in some cases they personify certain themes.

Anyway, next!
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 pm
Kang227 says...

I have about twenty viewpoint characters throughout the series I'm writing. I love them all. I'm still going to kill most of them, heh.

Anyway, the problem might be that you don't identify with the characters. Are they in situations that you cannot imagine yourself in? Do they have experiences you simply cannot relate to?

Characterization is 30% experience, 70% imagination. If you CANNOT identify with a character's personality, change it until you do. It's better to have a cliched character that looks and sounds natural, than an original character that looks like you had to TRY to write it.
Hey Daedalus, I'm Icarus. Do your thing, and for God's sake use something better than WAX this time.

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:32 am
Squall says...

Gahks wrote:
Dream of the Fayth wrote:We have characters in narratives because they are conventions used to help tell the story on the whole?

Yeah, to some extent, but in my opinion they enrich the story on a personal level and give it a human depth and texture, while in some cases they personify certain themes.

Anyway, next!

Whoops, that was supposed to be a full stop, not a question mark "head/desk" (changes it).

But still, have a think on what I've said. :D
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Dynamo says...

Here's an easy way to become attached to your character. Every time your character is faced with a problem have him or her react to it the same way you would if faced with the same situation. I believe that all characters a reflections on a part of their author's personality, so no matter how you look at it they are a part of you.

...Whoa, wait a minute. I just said the same thing I said a year ago in this same thread. Well, my point still stands!
Last edited by Dynamo on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
flytodreams says...

Will do, thanks everyone! :)
Be yourself; everybody else is already taken.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When you're being nice to your character, you're being bad to your book.

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf