z

Young Writers Society

Sketches

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Myth says...

Hello!

I've written a few sketches these past weeks and noticed only one of them had description while the others had hardly enough. Didn't think it mattered much as the sketches were more about the characters than the actual setting.

So: is description important or does dialogue, which I mostly use, carry off a sketch?

Myth
.: ₪ :.

'...'

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:52 pm
View Likes
Via says...

Mmmm. I think a little description is important, but only in the sense of a little personality to begin with. If you are too strict with the sketch and description then it doesn't allow for variations in the character while you are writing. Know what I mean?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:12 pm
Myth says...

Yes, I think so.

I just don't write too much description anymore, annoys me to death.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:28 pm
Meep says...

I'm not really sure what you mean by "sketch," (like a drabble or flashfic?) but I think that if the intent is a short character-driven plot, then dialog is what really matters. If you're particularly good with dialog, you don't need any description (sometimes not even he said/she said) because the characters will have a distinct way of talking that will fill the readers in about who they are.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:01 am
Sam says...

When you're using description in sketches, it often feels awkward because you sort of feel the impulse to write, "Harry, a stout-fifteen year old boy with blue eyes and brown hair and a slight tan and bowlegs he inherited from his mother..." and so on. That's not good.

Perhaps as important- or more important- is how the character acts. Are they nervous? Describe the effects: jittering hands, shifting eyes, etc. Are they confident? Then they'd probably stand up straight and look people in the eye.

Description's very important, but you need to know what to describe. Avoid the list of physical descriptions- hair color and all that- and go for the character's personality. How does that make them act? and so on.

Without it, dialogue's kind of like actors sitting and doing a reading. You can sort of get an idea of a character, but you don't really get the full picture.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:12 am
Rydia says...

In a sketch, a few adjectives are sufficient for description while dialogue is necessary so you have your priorities right. Just remember that description helps to bring your characters alive and you can't rely solely on dialogue and I'm sure you'll do fine.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

fun fact i hear my evil twin once wrote a story about a hacker who used the name fyshi33k bc there are 33k-ish species of fish and she liked phishing so fyshi-33k made sense but then she got super embarrassed when someone forced her to explain
— VyperShadow